5.0FL Stalls, dies and restarts immediately

unclefud50

Recruit
I have a '96 Cobalt 190 that I purchased a couple of years ago. At the end of last season, the engine (Volvo Penta 5.0FL) would start immediately, accelerate to plane and run fine except for rare backfire or hiccup....until I came in to dock or just idle in neutral, when it would sputter and die. It would then start right back up, then do the same thing. Over the winter, I had 2 barrel Holly rebuilt. This Spring, I replaced the carb, changed fuel filter (looked normal) and ran the boat with the same results. I have checked the plugs and timing and am thinking perhaps my problem is the mechanical fuel pump. Perhaps the ethanol in the fuel has degraded rubber in the pump? I do not want to spend $200. on a new pump only to find that is not the problem. To make matters worse, I live 300 miles away from the lake house where my boat is and get there every 3-4 weeks during boating season. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Bifflefan

Commander
Re: 5.0FL Stalls, dies and restarts immediately

if i read your post correctly it sounds like an electrical problem.
Is it points or electronic?
Have checked all the wiring for shorts, opens, or cracked or frayed, and all the connections. Batt terms also.

unclefud50

Recruit

It is electronic. I have checked all wiring and battery. All looks to be good.

mycirus

Cadet

Mine was doing the same thing. A compression check revealed zero compression in number 2 cyl. Check your compression. You may have a cracked valve like I did with a cracked head to follow.

snoski

Seaman

Pick up a new coil at the marine dealer near you (a cheap investment) and take it with you on your next trip. Install it and see what happens.