New Boat having problems...advice please

tightstripes

Cadet
I just bought a new boat, took it out with the seller and it seemed to run fine and after having a mechanic look at it, I was towing it home and the center console fell over when i was towing it back home. The console was a piece of crap that the guy built. After building a new console, i took the boat out and it would only barely get into drive and wouldn't go into reverse at all. I noticed that the neutral arm lock on the control box (plastic piece that you press to get it into and out of gear) was broken, so I replaced that. Tried it out tonight and it still would only barely get passed ideling speed and the reverse worked a little bit. The engine would also cut out a few times after trying to give it gas. Started to smoke a little too.

Anybody have any ideas what this might be from. Just weird because it worked fine when i took it out with the seller. The only thing that happened was the console falling over, but that didn't touch the outboard at all.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: New Boat having problems...advice please

You have told us nothing useful.

No make, model, size of engine; no symptoms of engine misbehavior.

Go read "How to get the most from your question". Then try again.

tightstripes

Cadet

Tohatsu 50 HP, model m50d2.

symptoms - won't go past ideling speed.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Was the control box mounted on the console that fell over? Sounds like your throttle cable became disconnected.

pvanv

Admiral

You can see exploded diagrams of the parts catalogs at http://www.internetoutboards.com/PartsCatalogMenu.htm which will show how the RC cables are supposed to be routed.

Towards the end of the list is the section on the RC boxes as well.

You can get a service manual at any Tohatsu/Nissan dealer.

Your owner's manual can be downloaded at http://www.tohatsu.com/tech_info/own_man_pdfs/Toh40D2_50D2.pdf and that also details installing and adjusting the cables.