How do you transport your inflatable w/gear to water?

nclex2011

Cadet
(Referring to guys with no trailer or pickup). This seems to take a VERY long time. What I usually do is drive my car down to the launch. Put it on the roof, inflate it, put light items like oars, rod, mounting brace in it, put it on the dock next to the water. Then make a second trip, for the battery, then another trip for the trolling motor and cooler. Get it all back to the boat, piece together the motor setup; then hop in. Ugh... sooo long. There's gotta be a quicker/easier way. How do you guys do it?

mudslinging79

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: How do you transport your inflatable w/gear to water?

i have a bronco 2, so the boat rides on top, infladed and tied down, gear goes in the cargo area. my deal is to back to the launch, unload boat, and put the gear on the dock, then park. come back and stow gear. leaving is the same in reverse.

mcpower5000

Cadet

you can find wheels that attach to your transom so you can load the boat up then just wheel it into the water all ready to go.

Last edited:

riverandocean

Seaman Apprentice

You got to get some launch wheels!

They are awesome!

Had a wheel-a-weigh set rated to 300lbs on a 150lb boat with a 105lb motor for a few years.

Now have a set rated to 500lbs with a 200lb boat and a 175lb motor.

Can move it easily on hard surfaces loaded with gear for day trip.

Bit of a grunt on soft sand!

It is pushing the portability limit for sure!

Attachments

• launch wheel.jpg
    launch wheel.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 0
  • launching boat.jpg
    launching boat.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 0

Scrottocks

Cadet

Launching wheels. So far, so good, for hand-launchng my 3.5m Zodiac (plus 20hp Mariner plus fishing gear, etc). However I needed something which would permit me to tow the boat from, say, a campsite nearby down to the launch point. And transport gear, fishing stuff, fuel containers, etc. Maximum towing distance about one/two miles or so at a careful speed.

So I made up a bracket with a flat plate which would bolt on to the tow point of the car (replacing the towball); the bracket rises about 24" (600 mm) with a foam-padded T-section at the top. This allows me to attach the bow-ring of the inflatable to the top of the T; the foam padding (it's pipe insulation) protects the boat fabic. The bow is now well clear of the ground, the boat is loaded with whatever I need (before leaving the campsite) and it's easy to unhitch at the waterside and then launch.

It's worked a treat. Unfortunately I don't have any pics to hand but it would only take some basic welding to make something similar.

Good Luck all!

PS. Sorry about the length in meters (3.5m); that's about 11' 6" in feet/inches.​

mudslinging79

Petty Officer 1st Class

stupid question, these wheels come off once boat is in water right? first time zodiac owner....

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

stupid question, these wheels come off once boat is in water right? first time zodiac owner....

they flip up , and you pin them "wheels up" for storage while boating

get ones with the largest dia. wheels you can - easier over the bumps.

Scrottocks

Cadet
How do you transport your inflatable w/gear to water?

Actually mudslinging79 is correct - yes. they do come off and I leave mine in the car/by the slipway. They're a bit big to leave sticking up in the air on the boat. You'll need to wear a pair of waders or chest waders when you remove the launch wheels as you'll be standing behind the boat up to your crotch in water. :eek: OK, if the water's warm I s'pose. :D I've been launching my boat for many years in the north of Scotland and that's cold and wet on the wedding tackle.​

Yes, the biggest wheels possible. And ensure that you get wheels with bearings in the middle on the axle and not just plastic centres rotating on a bush/bolt.​

Anyway I'm now past that problem having bought a 5m RIB and 70hp Johnson this year. Soooooo much easier to launch off a trailer - just a couple of minutes and away. A lot more space as well. :)

riverandocean

Seaman Apprentice

Scrottocks.... I have never seen transom wheels with bearings. Obviously a European thing. I agree on the biggest wheels possible, but I have had no problem with plastic rims on an aluminum axle.

I too take off my wheels. I do it from inside the boat, simply reaching over the back. The Zodiac system of a pin and bolt I now have is easy to remove. Undo the bolt and push down. The wheel with bracket bobs to the surface and I pick it up.

Getting them on out in the water is a little more challenging, but doable.

I trailer my sib as much as possible, it does make launching much easier. I pack up my boat and store in the back of the truck when towing with my travel trailer, so use launch wheels then.

Launch wheels also make surf landings on beaches much easier!

squidwood

Cadet

Hi,

I too do not use a trailer so I put my inflatable on my roof rack already inflated, I put the engine, fuel tank and the rest of my gear in the boot of my car.

When I arrive at the launch site, I just lift my boat off, fix the engine to the transom, put the rest of the gear in the boat then wheel it to the water.

I also have launching wheels as there worth there weight in gold!!

My wheels remain on my boat at all times, then lock down when I need to move the boat then lock up once I am in the water, they are spaced far enough apart so that they do not interfear with my engine when I turn.

regards
Dave

Syzygy

Seaman Apprentice
Bought SS launch wheels from Defender, with pneumatic wheels

Bought SS launch wheels from Defender, with pneumatic wheels

I really like them. My old boat has hard wheels (plastic) and I had trouble getting over smaller rocks and it bogged down in sand.

This new set seems to glide over everything. Love it.
It was about $225.00, if I recall.

Cheers

S-

Thunderduck

Cadet

I use a trailer . . . . . . . . .

:eek:

Attachments

• P9120006 50%.JPG
    P9120006 50%.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 0

zodiac340m

Petty Officer 1st Class

Can someone recommend some wheels for a zodiac 340? Are the stainless better to have then the Aluminium ones

surfga

Cadet

I can't believe I went a whole season without a trailer! I was getting pretty quick at setting everything up at the ramp and breaking it down. But, waiting at the ramp is a pain. That ride back to the ramp in the boat after a day of relaxing, knowing what was ahead of me was miserable. Then, bringing everything thing in from the boat, then stowing it at home, ugh, just brutal. I bought the boat for relaxing only, and I don't fish or drink on it. (keep the comments to yourself!)

Last season, I bought a trailer and what a difference! It is so much easier to modify/clean/maintain the boat and launching is a cinch. I still have to wait at the ramp, but at least nobody is waiting long on me.

zodiac340m

Petty Officer 1st Class

You got to get some launch wheels!

They are awesome!

Had a wheel-a-weigh set rated to 300lbs on a 150lb boat with a 105lb motor for a few years.

Now have a set rated to 500lbs with a 200lb boat and a 175lb motor.

Can move it easily on hard surfaces loaded with gear for day trip.

Bit of a grunt on soft sand!

It is pushing the portability limit for sure!

Are these wheels the demountable ones or the stay on flip up wheels? If flip up, does it tamper with the right movement of the engine?

zodiac340m

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi,

I too do not use a trailer so I put my inflatable on my roof rack already inflated, I put the engine, fuel tank and the rest of my gear in the boot of my car.

When I arrive at the launch site, I just lift my boat off, fix the engine to the transom, put the rest of the gear in the boat then wheel it to the water.

I also have launching wheels as there worth there weight in gold!!

My wheels remain on my boat at all times, then lock down when I need to move the boat then lock up once I am in the water, they are spaced far enough apart so that they do not interfear with my engine when I turn.

regards
Dave

And what boat do you have? I was told by the Zodiac people that the specific zodiac launch wheels will tamper with the right movement of the engine. I would rather have flip ups rather than fighting with the putting on from water to come back to shore. Can I please see a photo of your back of your boat with wheels flipped upwards`?

riverandocean

Seaman Apprentice

I always take my wheels off. The Zodiac system of a pin on the outside of the transom and a bolt through the top of the transom supposedly can be used to hold the wheels upside down..... too much hassle for me..... they get in the way too so I leave them on shore.

If I was wanting to leave the wheels on I would look at something like the New Zealand ones http://www.beachmaster.co.nz/ or the Swedish Perneborns http://perneborn.se/products.html they are out of the way when flipped up!

walneycol

Cadet

Does anybody know of any launching wheels for 3m inflatable that are safe for slow road use, i.e. half a mile at 20mph or less? I'm thinking that the ones on http://perneborn.se/products.html might just about do it, anyone got any other ideas? I'm in the UK if that helps. Cheers.