battery charging question

OHBandit

Cadet
I just got my kicker motor (Yamaha T8) installed for trolling purposes. My boat is a 21' center console with Evinrude 175 Ficht main engine.

My question is while trolling with the 8 horse Yamaha I will also be running my sonar and GPS for long periods of time. My concern is that the electronics will drain the battery while trolling with the main engine off. The 8 horse does have a 6 amp. alternator but that's not much. I have 2 batterys running through a battery selector. I guess while trolling I could switch to #1 battery and keep #2 fresh that way. Thoughts??

PuddleJumper

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: battery charging question

Sounds like you've answered your own question.
Isolating a fresh battery is best solution.

OHBandit

Cadet

Yeah I think that will work. Just didn't know if someone had a better way or suggestion.

The battery selector will be fine..... However, I seriously doubt that jsut a gps and fishfinder have the ability to run down a battery in a few hours time. See if you can find out the actual current draw of your electronics, I'd bet it's going to be under 1 amp. Your starting batteries are going to have a capacity of around 75 to 100 amp-hours. Get the picture? (Now if you happen to feel the need to blast the entire lake with a multi-hundred watt stereo while fishing, that's another story.)

OHBandit

Cadet

Yeah I would say you are correct on the amp. pull of the electronics and no I don't even have a stereo on the boat (yet!!!).

Just don't want to get stranded 10 - 15 miles out.