Johnson 4HP Seahorse?

United757

Recruit
First post, hope I'm in the right spot. I looked around the forum and used the search feature and couldn't find the answer, so here goes. My 12 year old son was given the motor mentioned above. Definitely going to need a few parts. Anyone know the year of manufacture? Thanks in advance. Hope I posted this in the correct spot.

Model 4W78E

Serial E4827536

Last edited:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Johnson 4HP Seahorse?

That's a 1978. GREAT little engine.

Welcome to iboats. Talk to us about your engine and any troubles.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

United757

Recruit

Thanks for the quick help, gonna need a carb overhaul for sure, I'll check here at iboats for the kit.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Just to re-iterate. Great little motor. Neighbor of mine has one as a kicker that I service each season. I wish he would sell it to me !!!!

United757

Recruit

Just finished with the carb cleaning and overhaul. Motor will start (after several years) with choke open and run for about 20 to 30 seconds. It also shutsdown immediately after I closed the choke. Plugs are a little wet, from full choke I'm guessing.

Leaf valves didn't come with the carb kit. Could these be the culprit? Can I clean them or should I replace? The carb looked like it was full mud when I removed it. Soaked in carb solvent for several hours and cleaned up nicely.

Thanks,
Mark.