MW 35GG-9015A Sea King 5 H.P.

bil_rankin

Cadet
On the right hand side of the little sea king 35GG-9015A engine that I just got running there is a lever thet moves up and down from 12:00 position to 3:00 oclock position connected to a cable that goes into the lower end of the engine. Can you tell me what this cable engages/disengages and what position it should be in for normal engine operation.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: MW 35GG-9015A Sea King 5 H.P.

it probably locks the tilt mechanism, so the motor does not raise up in reverse. if in clean water i usually lock it. if in shallow or rocky, stumps, unlock it. common sense. if you hit something hard enough it will release anyway.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

it probably locks the tilt mechanism, so the motor does not raise up in reverse. if in clean water i usually lock it. if in shallow or rocky, stumps, unlock it. common sense. if you hit something hard enough it will release anyway.

Nope, wrong answer. It is the neutral clutch lever. Swing it up for neutral, down for go. Reverse is accomplished by turning the motor all the way around so it points backwards. It automatically locks down when you do.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Actually TD...no, he's referring to the neutral shift lever, forerunner to full F-N-R. Raise the lever and it's in neutral, lower it and you get Forward. The cable goes down to the gearcase. Make sure the cable is secured and don't mess with it if it's not frayed, etc. You can test it by moving the lever...prop should spin freely when it's up, but will take some effort to turn when lever is down...in Forward. For reverse, you rotate the motor 180 degrees.