Water pump imperller and Merc 888...?

dr_bowtie

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was wondering about this...

Is there an impeller in the out drive in the merc 888..?

I am wondering how the water system works on my boat....how does the water get to the engines water pump...

I know I need to prefill the engine via Muffs but what do I need to "correctly" do procedure wise to make sure I dont kill this thing firing it...

The engine is a 302 ford and it is currently dry and has been over a year...another firend told me that on his outboard the impeller should be changed every 2 years...?

Is that the same rule for the merc I/o or what ever it's called...I am pretty sure this one has never been changed and beings I want to make sure all is right before I attempt to fire this thing what should I do...

try it or are they supposed to be replaced...?

Boat is a 77 Rinker with a Merc 888 (302 ford V8)

thanks

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Water pump imperller and Merc 888...?

Replace it before you try it so you don't send pieces of broken impeller up into your cooling system.

dr_bowtie

Petty Officer 1st Class

got any idea which kit I need from the link above...?

I have no idea what I am looking for...

I would rather order everything online if I can...thanks

erie_guy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dr. B,

Yes - the raw water pump is in the lower leg of the outdrive. You can seperate and drop the lower portion of the case from the sterndrive and service the internal water pump and drive shaft. The pump impeller should definately be changed before you try to start the engine.

The muffs/garden hose you mention are necessary to provide a continous flow of water to the drive & engine while it runs. If you run it w/o water flow it will damage the pump's rubber vanes and possibly overheat the engine.

To service the engine for winter storage it will be necessary to drain the water from the engine to prevent freeze damage to the engine block. You really should get a service manual for this engine to assure you perform proper & timely service/maintenance tasks. You can get parts and manuals on this web site. I had an 888 Merc with a Ford 302 back in the 1970s. It was a reliable power plant for the 19' Lund bowrider we enjoyed for nearly 20 years.

Do enjoy your "new" boat !!

erie_guy
Port Clinton, OH