Volvo/Penta 5.7GSi Conversion to Serpentine Pulleys/Belt??

crackedconch

Recruit
I have a 1999 Volvo/Penta 5.7 GSi. From the factory it came with separate v-shaped belts. I know the newer 5.7's are shipping with serpentine pulleys and belts.

Clearly the benefit of a serpentine belt is durability, ease of replacement and constant tension (no adjustment)--all of which improve reliability...

I'm needing to replace my alternator and was wondering, while I'm at it, is it possible (or worth it) to replace the other pulleys and upgrade to a serpentine belt system?

Thanks...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Volvo/Penta 5.7GSi Conversion to Serpentine Pulleys/Belt??

I wouldn't bother. Not worth the cost.

Power steering pump
Water pump
Harmonic balancer
Brackets

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

Serpentine belts are great...until it breaks on the water! Now you are stranded until you replace it.

I don't know which belts drive what on your engine, but I would rather lose my power steering and keep my water pump and/or alternator running...then to know that if my single sepertine belt goes, so goes limping to safe harbor.

Just an opinion...not worth an inflated $.02!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Don't forget all the different idlers, tensioners, and brackets, also include the engines cirulation pump. Has a diffeerent type.

Man, you could buy hundreds of belts for that price.

Why don't you just clean the rust off the pulleys, paint them, put new belts on and keep them dry. The belts last for years that way.

crackedconch

Recruit

Thanks for the info. I will keep it original considering the cost of what's involved.

As far as breaking down, I planned on keeping a spare belt on board if I had made the change. A serpentine belt would seem easier to change on the water than a standard belt--that was part of my thoughts in asking the question.

Thanks again.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Preventive maintenance will keep the belts from breaking.

rs2k

Chief Petty Officer

Not worth it at all. While looking for alternator brackets I found conversion kits online for several hundred dollars ($500+). It's best to just keep spare belts on board. It wouldn't be a bad idea to get a three wire alternator with a warning light. If the belt brakes you get a light on your dash.