All or Nothing Boat Survey

rlb2252

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Should I survey the entire boat or just part?

I know nothing about boats, engines, an all-thumbs type of guy.
A surveyor gave me three separate prices to inspect the individual components of my prospective purchase, a 22 foot Sea Ray Cuddy.

$300 for the boat
$130 for the I/O stern drive inspection
$150 for the compression check

I?m hoping to make an offer on the boat for no more than $4000. Are these prices average for a survey? Would you get some or all of these inspections done?

This boat, and the other on my possible list, both seem?to my inexperienced eyes?to be very solid, very well maintained. (I?ve looked at a few wrecks in my search thus far, so both of these pass the eye-ball test.)

On a cosmetically gorgeous craft, would you consider only the compression and/or stern drive inspection? Would you forego the boat inspection, relying on your own visual opinion?

Lastly, do most marine insurers require a survey anyway? If so, how thorough? Compression? Stern Drive? Boat Only?

hazwild

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: All or Nothing Boat Survey

if this is your first boat.i would get the motor and comp checked

VeroWing

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That price is right around standard charge for a complete survey. Since you do not know much about boats, I would recommend a full survey. Usually it is money well spent, and you can use survey findings to negotiate price of boat.
Be advised that surveyors are like boats. Some are good, some are not. Be sure to get one that is a member of the national surveyor organization, its name escapes me at the moment. Also be sure that surveyor is licensed and INSURED. Surveyors are responsible for their surveys.
Normally on older boats, insurance co. will want a survey, and there are surveyors that do just insurance surveys. They are usually not as complete a survey as a buyer would want when possibly buying a boat. Be sure to have surveyor spell out exactly what is being surveyed. Will they test transom and wood areas with water meter, etc.. be sure to get a thorough written report.
Good luck, Mike.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

Should I survey the entire boat or just part?

I know nothing about boats, engines, an all-thumbs type of guy.
A surveyor gave me three separate prices to inspect the individual components of my prospective purchase, a 22 foot Sea Ray Cuddy.

$300 for the boat
$130 for the I/O stern drive inspection
$150 for the compression check

I?m hoping to make an offer on the boat for no more than $4000. Are these prices average for a survey? Would you get some or all of these inspections done?

This boat, and the other on my possible list, both seem?to my inexperienced eyes?to be very solid, very well maintained. (I?ve looked at a few wrecks in my search thus far, so both of these pass the eye-ball test.)

On a cosmetically gorgeous craft, would you consider only the compression and/or stern drive inspection? Would you forego the boat inspection, relying on your own visual opinion?

Lastly, do most marine insurers require a survey anyway? If so, how thorough? Compression? Stern Drive? Boat Only?

The compression check is key...but $150 for about 15 minutes of time? For that amount I would expect a complete engine check...running, and brought to operating temperature.

Having said that...a 17' boat has 17' of potential expense, a 19' boat has 19' of potential expense, a 22' boat...well, you get the idea! But if the boat is fairly new, and you have at least checked the floor for soft spots and examined the transom area in the bilge for possible water intrusion issues...then you may want to 'roll the dice'.

Outdrive definitely needs to be checked out....

PuddleJumper

Petty Officer 1st Class

The prices quoted look a bit high. I don't know where you are located but around the midwest certified marine surveyors charge approx $11/ft for survey for a cruiser, which includes all appliances, head, and accessories.. $60-70 for sea trial inspection. Unusual for a surveyor to do mechanical inspection as well. Others might chime in as to prices quoted for drive inspection and compression test. If you do get a compression test (highly recommended) have them put new plugs in. should only be cost of plug over because same labor.
I would suggest having complete survey and mech inspection a contigency of sale. Good piece of mind and very possibly save you much more than the cost of inspection.

Pierutrus

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I wouldn't pay over $300 for a COMPLETE boat inspection.
That would INCLUDE everything that's on or hanging off of said barge.
Then again, IF we're talking a yacht, all bet's are off.:cool:

45Auto

Commander

Where are you located? It's possible someone may be close enough to help you out.

$300 for everything would be reasonable for a couple of hours worth of survey on a 22' boat. $150 for a compression check and $130 for a stern drive check is just a flat rip-off.

Putting $580 into a survey of a $4000 boat isn't reasonable to me. But then, if you aren't capable of evaluating it and doing any necessary work yourself, it may be worth it to you.

H8tank

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Putting $580 into a survey of a $4000 boat isn't reasonable to me.

I agree. Do you have a dealer close who would 'look it over' for a few bones?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

That price is right around standard charge for a complete survey. Since you do not know much about boats, I would recommend a full survey. Usually it is money well spent, and you can use survey findings to negotiate price of boat.
Be advised that surveyors are like boats. Some are good, some are not. Be sure to get one that is a member of the national surveyor organization, its name escapes me at the moment. Also be sure that surveyor is licensed and INSURED. Surveyors are responsible for their surveys.
Normally on older boats, insurance co. will want a survey, and there are surveyors that do just insurance surveys. They are usually not as complete a survey as a buyer would want when possibly buying a boat. Be sure to have surveyor spell out exactly what is being surveyed. Will they test transom and wood areas with water meter, etc.. be sure to get a thorough written report.
Good luck, Mike.
I agree. My bank and insurance co. required a full survey of the boat. Full electrical and hull inspection. Moisture readings taken of the entire boat.

I didn't have the motor done becouse I had already done compression, fuel pressure, battery checks, etc. myself

LIQUID PROZAC

Petty Officer 1st Class

since you know nothing of boats go ahead and do a full survey--think of it this way you WILL WATCH AND LEARN during the survey--to me education in the real world is priceless-- you can research books and all but hands on is guaranteed good luck:D

lprizman

Chief Petty Officer

thats $200.00 to much,,get a survey but not from this guy, he is taking advantage of you. I don't care if he offers to do it for free once you tell him no thanks,,the guy is a jerk off IMO for quoting you that.