Bennett Trim Tabs or Smart Tabs?

BigBoatinOkie

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Howdy. I just bought a 1984 Wellcraft 180 bowrider. It came with Bennett hydraulic trim tabs that don't work. I've never used trim tabs but they seem like they would just be a distraction while trying to drive the boat. We will be pulling a skier/tube/kneeboard, so there is enough to pay attention to without having to worry about operating the tabs. That being said, the tabs are there for a reason, getting that Chevy V8 on plane. Obviously the boat needs a little help getting it's fat behind on top of the water. I've heard good things about smart tabs on this forum. Do yall think the smart tabs will do the job as well as hydraulic tabs? I know I won't be able to correct for listing , but honestly, is that much of a problem for an 18' ski boat? So, I guess the question is whether I should go to the trouble to get the Bennett trim tabs working, get some Smart tabs, or some kind of hydrofoil? Opinions please. :D

salty87

Commander
Re: Bennett Trim Tabs or Smart Tabs?

contact bennet, they are extremely helpful. i have a manual plate on my boat, wish it was hydraulic. i'd fix what you have over installing smart tabs.

Tahoe 55

Petty Officer 1st Class

contact bennet, they are extremely helpful. i have a manual plate on my boat, wish it was hydraulic. i'd fix what you have over installing smart tabs.
I have the smart tabs on a 22'er and love them, but I agree with the statement above. Try and fix what ya got 1st....

n2ostroker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Try to fix what you have. If not or its too much contact Nauticus about Smart Tabs, they used to and may still offer a conversion kit for hydraulic tabs.

nlain

Commander

I am a Smart Tab fan, I have them and they are great, with that said, you have bennetts already on the boat, contact them, they will help you troubleshoot and repair them. If the cost is too much then by all means contact Nauticus.