How do I free up storage in Lowrance GPS?

strokeoluck

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a Lowrance LMS-520c GPS unit installed on our boat (details in signature line). The previous owner had this installed on the boat and to date I've only used it for simple depth readings, water temp and speed. However, over the weekend we took the boat out on Lake Minnetonka, one of the larger lakes in the Twin Cities area (the largest?). And of course I proceeded to get lost. We had no hardcopy map (try finding one!; I called three stores today and each one said they hardly carry any maps these days) and I didn't know how to work the waypoint/trail function in the GPS.

Eventually we found our way back to the ramp. Once home I cracked open the manual. Upon trying to create a waypoint (in my garage, but nonetheless it should have worked) the GPS told me I needed to free up storage by "deleting icons, waypoints, trails", etc. I did my best to go through, locate the waypoint, trails, etc. and delete them. But it appeared there were no such items to delete. Which now has me scratching my head. If there's virtually nothing stored on the unit, why is it telling me I have no storage left? (The only thing that I found taking up any storage on the unit were two maps, on the MMC card; I believe one was all lakes in MN).

I went on Lowrance's website and tried to find frequent questions similar to this one, but had no luck. I also emailed them but haven't received a response (even though their auto response said I'd hear from them in 24 hours).

RickJ6956

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: How do I free up storage in Lowrance GPS?

Did it find satellites when the boat was in your garage? GPS usually needs clear line-of-sight to the sky. Mine isn't able to create waypoints without a position fix.

If it's similar to mine, it will log trails automatically unless you tell it not to. Over time, these trails will fill up the memory and must be deleted.

You can also reset the unit to remove all items stored in memory, but it will also reset your preferences to factory default.

With a card reader you can sit at home and enter waypoints, routes, and trails, even translating to & from Google Earth. Save your data to the same card as the map (but make SURE you don't delete or modify the map, and do not format the card!).

Navy Jr.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

We have the very same unit, and the first time I used it was on Lake Minnetonka last year. Saved my neck. Launched at Gray's Bay, then motored past Big Island and through the narrow channel into the Upper Lake. Played around there for a while, then decided it was time to head back. Was simple. Just followed the trail of crumbs left behind on the map. Sweet. Without that we were like totally lost!

I don't have any advice above the good stuff RickJ provided above. Just hope you find what you need in the rather large user manual to get the "My Trails" feature operating again. As far as hard copy maps of Minnetonka go, I picked one up at the Gander Mountain store in Eden Prairie (on Technology Drive across from Costco). -Ken

strokeoluck

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys. The GPS couldn't find a satellite while I had it in the garage, but I'm pretty certain the unit didn't even try to locate a satellite, it very quickly (like a nanosecond) told me I was out of storage.

I do recall one time when we first got the boat, seeing that little "bread crumb" trail on the screen. But it doesn't happen any longer. So I know the feature works, but I'm truly at a loss as to where the heck all the storage capacity is being gobbled up. Every time I look, it looks "empty".

I still haven't heard back from Lowrance which I find very odd. You're right Navy Jr., it's a heck of a manual for that unit. I'm going to run to Gander Mountain and pick up a laminated map this weekend. But on 8/22 we have a subdivision outing that is supposed to last till about 11 p.m. So I'm hoping to have that GPS working by then. A neighbor keeps his large boat at a nearby private dock and he said he could guide us in if need be, but I'd prefer not to need a babysitter! :)

Navy Jr.

Just a thought...

To get to the map display section from the front door in Gander Mtn you will most probably stroll by the sonar/GPS section. They sell Lowrance and have some on display and hooked up. You might be able to find someone there who can answer your questions (employee or another customer lurking in the area). -Ken

strokeoluck

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well I had a spare 30 minutes on Friday afternoon so I called Lowrance. After 20 minutes they took my call and helped me out. They recommended I do a hard reset. I did it, and it worked.

Navy Jr.

so how do you do the hard reset

On the LMS 520C and similar devices:

from the second menu screen

- select System Setup

- select Reset Options

- then YES to the confirmation prompt.

This will reset the unit to the factory settings.

strokeoluck

Petty Officer 1st Class

so how do you do the hard reset

Sorry guys, I wasn't sure anyone would care how to do the hard reset. Here are the steps to do it on my particular system:

Turn unit off, press/hold zoomIn and zoomOut at same time, then press/hold Power key (now holding three keys at same time); watch unit power up?when the U.S. map appears let go of all three buttons