Wife buys a Chrysler powerhead LOL

foxtrotboss

Seaman Apprentice
Ok I have been diligently working on my 1986 Force 125 rebuilding it and taking my time. Then wife decides that the Chrysler 125 powerhead advertise was the way to go. I am setting at home and she comes in the door all smug and spent only 150 dollars and says I have a good motor for the boat. Well so excitedly I go out to see this powerhead (not knowing what she bought). First thing I notice is the distributor, magnapower ignition, and this odd shaped head. She tells me the guy swears it is a exact replacement. Well yeh it will bolt to my mid leg and has the right spline crank. But..... there is no coil, the wiring harness is butchered and the belt for the distributor is trashed LOL.

I researched the best as I can and so far I have found that they didn't use a magnapower ignition on the 125. also the 125 was only listed as 81-82 with cd ignition (distributorless). Ok so what do I have. the fuel pump is on a part of the port plate but seperate with a glass sediment bowl, there is no tags on the motor and the casting numbers have not revealed anything. So tommorrow I am pulling this small double figure 8 head off. the overheat sensor is mounted in the block not the head,and measure the bore. With any kind of luck this motor will have a 3.312 bore, and I can use the pistons and rings, if they are good.

The question for now is, the conecting rods are they the same on all chrysler/Force 4 cylinder motors?

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Wife buys a Chrysler powerhead LOL

You have to admit that at least your wife was trying to help you out! I would be tickled if my wife bought me ANY kind of a motor.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

If this is related to the three ring circus above, you have an early to mid 60s engine. Chrysler used the name "Magna-Power" quite loosely to describe many of it's ignition systems. You probably had a Motorola system with a distributor and points. It probably also had the big square red finned selenium rectifier mounted near the starter. The head will have webs showing on it and a tube running from the thermostat on top to the bottom of it. This is the old style head with no water jacket; only the tube carried cooling water. But believe it or not, Chrysler did use it on some later engines or it was retro fit by the owner.

Yes, the block will bolt right up, BUT the top stator carrier is different and would need modification for your existing ignition system to fit.

The question is: Is it really a 125? Since you are taking off the head, check for 2.875 stroke and 3.3125 bore. If it is a 2.80 stroke, it is anything from a 100 to a 120 and even a 135. If, on the other hand it has a 3.375 bore and a 2.875 stroke, it is a 140 and worth putting on your leg-- which I doubt because from your description, the engine is older than 1978, when the 140 was introduced.

Don't get mad at the woman, she was trying to help, but such an old engine block--even in running condition was a bit expensive for 150. On the other hand: Where are you going to get a block in good condition for that price. If it has smooth bores with no scoring, it will be excellent for parts. As I said, the only modification needed to modernize it is to change the top stator carrier and add in a filler to keep the top bearing located down in the saddle.

foxtrotboss

Seaman Apprentice

Frank your right it does have the big red recitfier, no points though, hall effect pickup in the distributor, and a big bummer it is NOT a 140. The block does have a stamp on it 7 69. The head does have a small water jacket, no tube. The bore and the stroke are the same. The wrist pin has more than two needle bearings, just like the one that came out of the Force. The three piston rings can be a big blessing though, with me honing the bore and stuffing a piston in the extra ring sealing might prove to be a nice feature.

This fall after the boat is put up for the season I am going to do a complete rebuild that is correct for this motor with wiseco pistons and the cylinders bored out. And the best part is I am selling the Chrysler parts that don't apply to my motor to fund it!!!! I dont need a distributor or the magnapower pack, the starter (in fair condition), the carbs, or really anything that goes to the chrysler motor. I will ebay them unless someone was to get a hold of me and well you know ;) .

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Distributor was probably a retrofit as the rectifier is really early and the electronic distributor was a bit later-- I think all electronic distributors came with the black aluminum finned Motorola regulator/rectifier. However, If the head has the flat plate water jacket cover, that puts the engine a little later. I really can not pinpoint it exactly though.

But Remember: If you intend to rebuild this block with a distributorless ignition the top needs to be modified. The bearing sits down too far for the alternator carrier to keep it in position so you must either mill damn near 1/8 inch off the top or put in a filler ring underneath. If you use a filler ring, you must then reposition the top seal in the carrier so it contacts the shaft in the correct place. Finally you must accurately drill and tap five 1/4 X 20 holes to mount the newer carrier. Compare the old block to the new and it will be obvious what needs to be done.

I have wanted to do this myself for some time, but have never gotten "A Round Tuit."

See my PM to you

foxtrotboss

Seaman Apprentice

I think there is to much going on in th8is thread.

Chrysler block is not going to be used.

Force block is the keeper.

The one being rebuilt right is the force this fall.

This right now is a band-aid fix, Force block with Chrysler parts.

:D:D:D:D