Bayliner 1988 Capri - Rotted Floor

BillS-7

Cadet
I just purchased a 1988 Bayliner Capri w/ an outboard. Motor runs great now after a little TLC, however the entire floor in the cockpit area is rotted. Some areas are real bad such as the center near the ski locker. I am prepared for the worse as I have begun removing the seats and carpet. The area over the gas tank is real flimsy and the flooring around the passenger side seats is pretty good. I want to replace the whole floor but want to salvage the boxes that support the "lay down" seats. Need some suggestions there for starters. I am also torn between replacing the floor with 3/4" Exterior grade plywood treated with penetrating epoxy covered with Glass - not sure how much - want to end up with a glass floor not carpet. My other flooring option is Coosa Board ($$$$), however will never rot again. Looking for any suggestions. Please comment on the possiblity of the fuel tank being comprimised by the crappy floor as well.

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Bayliner 1988 Capri - Rotted Floor

Hey Bill:) Welcome to Iboats, If you scroll down to the "Boat Restoration & Building" forum, I am sure you will be able to read a whole boat load helpful Info for what you are looking for, Tons of great info and help, But don't be a stranger to "Boat Questions(Not Engine topics) too, Hope this will help!!

BillS-7

Cadet

Thanks for the quick reply. Nice lookin vessel you have there. Be there soon (I hope). I've looked at all the forums for the past several days and couldn't find anything specific to my exact questions. I suppose there are many ways to go and no one way is wrong. I'm going to keep tearing it apart til I am satisified that I've removed all of the comprimised pieces. I am more of an engine guy. Fixing that was much easier. New Impeller, Water Pump housing, a few gaskets, thermostat and a good flushing along with lower unit oil change and we're back in business. Although I've been referring to my "new" boat as fiberglass in the shape of a boat!! Thanks, Bill

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

I am confidant they could help you with your floor there too, WOW good to know that you do alot of work yourself, Well you came to the right place, Iboats has helped me tremendously, Again Welcome to Iboats, It IS the best site there is for just about all your boating needs, You Gotta send pics, Be able to go out take a pic and put it in the pc in a couple of min. I have fun being able to do that too, Just recentlybeen able to do that, Pretty cool.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hi bill.....welcome to i boats....

yep....the restoration section is where you want to be....lots of people there that have been there done that.....for example....

you say you want a fiberglass floor not a carpet....

well a glass floor looks really bad and will stick sharp fiberglass strands into yer hunnys foot !....so what i think you really want is to gellcoat the deck.....that will make it really nice and smooth (or pebbeled finish for non skid) lots of examples in the restoration section.

as far as coosa for the deck....you can....but standard fiberglass encased (poly resin) ext plywood will last well over 20 years with out rot. in most cases...this is way longer than most owners have a boat.

also ......i think you will find that the foam in your b-liner is also wet....that means you need stringers and possibly a transom......

if the situation isnt critical....id suggest that you use your boat the rest of this season, and in the fall do a tear down.....(a good tear down will only take approx 16 man hrs).

in the resto section there is about 10 capris being done at this minit....

and one more about to start.....mine :D

cheers
oops

jhs5150

Seaman Apprentice

Bill,

I have the same problem with almost the same boat. The floor is spongy between the two seats at the rear of the boat, in front of the gas tank.
I figured I would just cut that section out and replace it with marine plywood and then carpet over it. I'll look in the resto section myself and see what other people are doing. I'm in the process of redoing the seats now. I wanted a project, looks like I got one.

BillS-7

Cadet

Thanks oops for your "Welcome" and for the info. I guess I should have specifically mentioned the Gel coated surface. I planned on having a textured surface (anti-slip). As far as waiting on tearing it down...it's too late. Didn't want to compromise the hull if the stringers are soft. I know the transom is good though. I have a plan of attack, just was looking for others suggestions.
To JHS - if you havn't begun yet, the damage is probably greater than it looks. I too thought I'd just replace the soft stuff. That would probably take longer than replacing the whole floor not to mention you might be hiding some real structrual damage. You definately have a project!!

sho3boater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

In mine the floor was good but the frame for the locker was gone. I didn't want it, so I cleaned the floor and epoxied it. Then I made 3/8 panels and soaked them with resin and a little cloth in the traffic areas. I carpeted them with SS staples and screwed them over the ski locker area. They have worked great so far but now I have a small soft spot at front of floor. If the whole floor is bad, then it is easier to just do the entire thing believe it or not. Plus that is a structural issue. In my 16' the stringers are only 1x4, so really not a big deal to replace the two. Some people are spraying bedliner on for a floor.

78ImperialT

Petty Officer 1st Class

got lucky here...the floor and stringers were solid.