OMC Cobra drive install problem...

wilkboater

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm reinstalling the outdrive and can't get it to go. Engine alignment is good, everything is greased, I have the outdrive supported. I've read every version of how to do this(including the service manual), and nothing has helped. It seems like the ujoint center socket won't fit through the bellows. I've read about the splines being hard to align, but it's not going in that far. Could the bellows be swollen?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Re: OMC Cobra drive install problem...

It's possible and if this has an original style bellows....OMC revised the bellows and made it bigger to make it easier to get it on...the last time I put mine on it took no more than 10 minutes....

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Change the bellows, problem will be cured.

wilkboater

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The boat is a 1988, with 98 hours, so I'm pretty sure it's original. Will aftermarket parts (Sierra ect.) have the updated design?

Thanks,
Jeff

MRS

Commander

I just did mine three times in two days if it is original bellows take a piece of wood and wedge it in the pivot housing to keep it straight and make sure the u-joint collar is straight in the bellows and it will slip right in. Plus grease the heck out of the collar and the bellows.

cr2k

Captain

Just grease the ring between the u-joints and take a long screw driver and when you get to that point stick the screw driver in the u-joints (carefully) and turn them back and forth while pushing the drive on. Basically working them through the bellows end.

Kinda like pulling off your wedding ring, you gotta lube it up and twist it a little.