1995 115 Evinrude

mrbell83

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The motor seems to nun good but when you hammer it, it stays at 3000 rpm for a long time before reving up and planing out. It also can't get over 5000rpm at WOT. Any ideas?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1995 115 Evinrude

Which engine do you have the crossflow or the looper?

mrbell83

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Which engine do you have the crossflow or the looper?

Whatever they made in 1995, all I know is its a V-4. This is a friends boat that he just bought. He is not very internet savvy so I am trying to help him out. He said that it doesn't hesitate all the time either. And, when he is on plane and hammers it, he has no issues getting to 5000rpm but I was told the red line should be 5400rpm. The boat has the stock prop and new plugs.

The boat did sit for a few years because the previous owners got a divorce. The wife apparently got it in the divorce and wanted to get rid of it. The old gas was drained and new plugs were put it before the maiden voyage.

Any info would be much appreciated.

SKEETR

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds to me like you need to do a link'n sync on the carbs. You have a crossflow motor.

billy4hp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Link n' sync?

Link n' Sync is the procedure to set the carb opening to the ignition timing. It is spelled out in a OEM shop manual which is really a must have if your going to work on this outboard yourself...

First of I would read all the sticky posts at the top of this forum (Top Secret Files, etc)... There is a ton of good info in there and you might be able to answer most of your questions yourself. The waking a sleeping outboard thread is very good...

After that I would do a general health check up on this engine (compression test, spark test) then plan on rebuilding the carbs with new carb kits if it has sat for awhile... There is also concerns of older fuel lines swelling and coming apart with today's "gasoline" so you might want to head off the problem and replace all the fuel lines if they have not been changed in the last couple of years with new fuel lines that are ethanol / methanol compatible...

With the info you have given it sounds like one or more of the carbs has a plugged jet IMHO... If you keep running it you chance burning up a cylinder as it's not getting enough fuel/oil if a high speed jet is plugged or partially plugged...

HTH

countvlad

Chief Petty Officer

Link n' sync?

yeah link and sync but since the motor's been sitting theres no doubt in my mind that the carbs are dirty.... so either decarb or carb rebuild?

if decarb follow the link bellow...

once you get that done and no improvement then its time to look at the prop... you might be overpropped

mrbell83

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the help. We know the prop is good because it is original.

countvlad

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the help. We know the prop is good because it is original.

ive heard of over propped boats out of the show room or dealer... so the prop being the original doesnt mean anything....

have you ever had the boat running past 5000 rpms???

have you tried to prime the bulb while accelerating or when you hit close to 5000 rpms??

decarb or carb cleaning? if decarb follow the link below..

get the motor runing in shape then well go from there