what temp should I be?

66 joe

Petty Officer 2nd Class
guys,, got powerhead rebuilt and Im questioning what should the head temps be of my 96 112 spl? Im going to a lake today or tomorrow and I borrowed a infrared thermometer. By touch, I can tell upper starboard (1?) is a little hotter than other heads. I can hold my fingers at least five seconds,,, but other holes seem cooler. This is all on flush muff in driveway for 30 mins, diff rpms. Ill get exact temps and post,, just want to know ranges I should see, and when is it time to shut her down. Dont want repeat trouble, #1 piston blew apart. Thanks, Joe

66 joe

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: what temp should I be?

guys, on flush muffs, im running it seems alot warmer on 1 & 3 side.
avg 155,,, highest 158 that dropped down on faster idle,, but hovered round 155; the 2 & 4 side were considerably lower 115 avg; low 108, 118 high. Is this reason to be concerned?

66 joe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

temp readings taken from fluke ir gun and motor on flush muffs

66 joe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Im doing this job BACK A*S BACKWARDS; took apart thermostat housing only to find both thermostats broken and in 2 pieces with lots of buildup.
Im mad cause it was very difficult removing t-stat housing with powerhead on and I can only imagine how tuff its going to be to re-install with new thermostats and gaskets (lining everything up),, I may have to lift up powerhead! Any tips tricks appreciated!!! thanks, Joe

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

sound as if you are on the right track, yes it is a PITA to do tstat on a bubble back. it can be done.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Remove the exhaust housing covers for better access. You won't find the bottom cowl will move much on your model-but you can unbolt it and it will move somewhat to provide better access. The flatrate on this is something like 3 hours-enough time to remove the whole powerhead, but most do not. Taz is 100% correct....

66 joe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok I feel better,,,, there was lots of swearing last night removing t-stats.
Is it safe to say, one t stat was frozen open = cool temps 115 and other closed or partially closed = hot temps 155-158 on one side?
And Im now kinda thinking that was orig problem leading to this rebuild