Johnson 150 OB will not engage/start

JStarbuck

Recruit
I have a 1996 Johnson 150 Oceanrunner (outboard) that was running great 6 months ago when we stored it (we put fuel stabilizer in before storing). Now the engine will not start. Replaced the battery, cleaned the carborator. It just cranks but never catches/engages. We are changing the fuel filter but would appreciate any other suggestions. Thanks.

jriegle04

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Johnson 150 OB will not engage/start

is it getting fuel to the spark plugs? when you say "never catches" you mean it won't fire or the starter isn't catching? i would pull the plugs and see what they look like first.

daselbee

Commander

First time trying to start it this year?
Check your kill lanyard up at the controls.
May have been knocked off since you stored it, cleaning it, etc.

JStarbuck

Recruit

Thanks - we checked the kill switch first - already had this happen to us on open water - I felt like an idiot. 4 of the spark plugs are new, others look clean but have a little rust where the bolt conntects to the engine, but not under the cap. We will pull them and clean or replace them.

The engine makes the reving noise like it is turning over but just doesn't catch - definately can smell fuel - there is no difference in noise when trottle in in neutral or pushed forward (reved) which is different than last time we had it working.

Thank you for the replies, and any other idea you might have. I am a real novice.

jriegle04

Petty Officer 2nd Class

it sounds like it is spark related. i would start with a spark test. it should jump at least a 7/16 gap and be bright blue. if you have no spark on 3 of the cylinders i would try swapping the power packs from the side with spark to the side without and see if the problem follows the power pack.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

go to the auto parts store, buy a $10 spark tester, set it at 7/16 inch, check spark on all cylinders. if you have spark on all, then remove the air silencer from the carbs, and put some premixed fuel directly into the carbs throat. now try starting.

Attachments

• spark tester.jpg
    spark tester.jpg
    1.6 KB · Views: 0