sears gamefisher 3 hp neutral isnt neutral

Someguy564

Cadet
I just bought one of these motors, and it started up on the first pull. I did some research and noticed that it is made by tanaka. (By the way, it is advertised as air cooled, but is the whole thing aircooled? I have noticed that while some motors have an aircooled upper unit, the lower unit is water cooled) But I have one problem. The prop still moves even when it is in neutral. Any advice?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: sears gamefisher 3 hp neutral isnt neutral

Tanaka is total air cooled.Near as I can tell it has a centrifical clutch.
I think they are problematic.

Someguy564

Cadet

Another new problem. I took it out on the lake, and when running at max for around 5 minutes, it would just shut off. However, I could start it right back up with one pull. Is it starving for fuel or something?

reelfishin

Captain

Is the vent open on the fuel cap?

The lower leg has no pump, the power head is air cooled. The exhaust exits a separate tube, be sure that the small vent hole in that tube is above the water line.

The centrifical clutches are fine, but they will rust up if left sit or if left in the water all the time. Over the years I've replaced several upper drive bearings, and freed up several clutches, but nothing major. The clutches seem to last a long time, I've never had to replace a set of clutch shoes.

Their simple motors to work on, parts are still available for these online. Tanaka still makes parts and still builts power equipment, they no longer build or sell outboards.

These were sold as Tanaka, Sears Gamefisher, and I believe as Aqua bug or something to that effect.

If yours won't idle and the prop won't neutral at idle, either the idle is too high or the clutch shoes are rusty, stuck or seized.

You have to remove the drive from the motor to access the clutch, it can be pretty well stuck if it's all rusted in there. Once it's off, I usually replace the upper bearing and coat everything pretty well with never seize. Do not coat the clutch shoes. The drive on these is similar to a go cart clutch.
Chances are it's been stored outdoors or it got wet or dunked. The clutch should never see water. The bearings can be gotten at any local bearing distributor, their nothing special, any good quality sealed bearing will work.

See here for more info: http://www.tanaka-usa.com/index.php?section=129

Kiggsia

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I had the same trouble a year ago with my 3 hp gamefisher, stalling then not always restarting. I took the carb apart and blew it out with compressed air and it never missed a stroke after that! Let us know if this worked.

Last edited:

Kiggsia

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I had the same trouble a year ago with my 3 hp Sears Gamefisher, stalling then not always restarting. I took the carb apart and blew it out with compressed air and it never missed a stroke after that! Let us know if this worked.

pccraig

Cadet

Hey Guys,

I recently bought a used 3hp Gamefisher that looks to be in very good shape. Can anyone tell me what this motor's gallons per hour fuel rating is ?

Thanks