can a 9.9 push a 24 foot pontoon?

rooooney

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am looking for a pontoon boat but my lake has a 9.9 limit- I found a 24 foot without a motor that i considered buying but will a 9.9 move it or do I need to find a smaller boat? Thanks

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: can a 9.9 push a 24 foot pontoon?

Technically yes it will but obviously not fast, a 55lb trolling motor will move a toon that size and a 9.9 has alot more power than that.

You should be fine with that set up.

Bigtimber

Cadet

Slowly but surely. No speed demon of course and it could get alittle aggrivating at times...but ya I would think it would bump around alright. Went to the Okefenokee swamp park awhile back...they had some, I'd estimate, 20 foot carolina skiffs loaded down with maybe 15-18 folks and they pushed them all with those 9.9 mercurys. Nothing fast but bumping right along pretty good.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

My 9.5 kicker pushes my very deep V 19 footer with a full 20 gallon tank and a 75 horse mercury with lower unit in the water at about 5.6 mile (gps) per hour.You should get a little better than that.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

When I first got my 16' pontoon (8' beam) it came with a 1961 Evinrude 5.5hp. I thought it would blow sideways down the river but it held it's own. Even with 4 or 5 adults in it.

So a 9.9 should move a 24'er similar I would think. Or you could do like a lot of others talk about and put a 15hp cowling on a 9.9. Oops... did I put that in writing!

Jeff-in-PA

Chief Petty Officer

Technically yes it will but obviously not fast, a 55lb trolling motor will move a toon that size and a 9.9 has alot more power than that.

You should be fine with that set up.

That's what I have on my 24' pontoon. I forget the exact mph, put it moves fast enough to get around ( or back as that's why I checked it out before I had to ). You will not be setting any speed records so I hope you enjoy the ride.

When I first got my 16' pontoon (8' beam) it came with a 1961 Evinrude 5.5hp. I thought it would blow sideways down the river but it held it's own. Even with 4 or 5 adults in it.

So a 9.9 should move a 24'er similar I would think. Or you could do like a lot of others talk about and put a 15hp cowling on a 9.9. Oops... did I put that in writing!

I think that should read a 15 hp outboard with a 9.9 cowling

junior1113

Senior Chief Petty Officer

need a very low prop pitch for best outcome like 6-7" pitch

fishfindin

Cadet

I am looking for a pontoon boat but my lake has a 9.9 limit- I found a 24 foot without a motor that i considered buying but will a 9.9 move it or do I need to find a smaller boat? Thanks

you could, but it would be slow movin from there.

rs2k

Chief Petty Officer

I think that should read a 15 hp outboard with a 9.9 cowling

I once saw a big bass boat with a BIG engine that had an 8 HP label in a lake with a limit.

nimmor

Petty Officer 1st Class

There is a small 60 acre lake I fish sometimes that several of the local residents have 9.9's on there pontoons all sizes. This is also a 10hp max lake but it is also a no wake lake so speed is not a factor. So the 9.9 will work fine. The first time I ever fished this lake I am talking about it really shocked me to see nice $200,000-$300,000 homes with nice big pontoons parked at ther docks with a little ol 9.9 mounted on them. The nice thing about these lakes is you don't have the pressure of the big wave boats and jet skis, just a great place to fish.

xxturbowesxx

Chief Petty Officer

I would find the largest motor that a 9.9hp cowl can fit on. I know this may seem wrong but its not like your pushing a 10'john boat so speed wont be an issue and I doubt anyone will take a second look.

kciv

Seaman Apprentice

I bought a 24' pontoon boat and needed to move it across a lake. I put my 14' jon boat on the pontoon boat and used its 5 hp to push it. Oddly enough the pontoon boat with the jon boat moved just about as fast as the jon boat with the 5 hp.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

You will move but no need to take the water ski's

rs2k

Chief Petty Officer

On small planning hulls hp doesn't seem to matter much until you try to get out of the hole (Assuming motor thrust is greater than wind resistance). Look up the term "hull speed" or "displacement speed".

I can pull my 28' boat pretty about as fast as I jog with a long enough rope. I put out much less than 9 HP.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

At only 60 acres a 9.9 will get you by fine. Thats only a little over a 1/4 mile wide so skiing probably ain't happening any way. At 5 mph you'll cross it in about 3 minutes. And you'll run forever on a 6 gal tank and be able to enjoy fishing with no wakes. Sounds fun to me.

flstc2

Recruit

Im fixing to find out. Bought a 16 ft pontoon last november for retirement. Retired january. It has a 9.9 and am told it will be fine at the boat shop. Im glad to see so many agreeing. Just want to do some fishing on small lakes around here. Also may grill some burgers and drink some beer while trolling the lake shore. Im on the mississippi river but not planning on taking it out on the river.

ONERCBOATER

Chief Petty Officer

my 20ft pontoon came with a 9.9 as i saved it from a 9.9 lake.... mind you the 20ft pontoon had a 9ft glass fully enclosed cabin on the back and did right fine with the 9.9..... then i found a 20hp for $50....... a few weeks later had it put together... I dont expect much top speed difference between 9.9 and 20hp... but i do expect to be able to push through the wind better should i need to and accelerate to top speed a lil quicker. What surprised me with the 9.9 was how smoothly she accelerated and how fast she went... not at all what i was expecting... thinking she did 5-7mph... not bad and faster than walking. I think you will be happy.

oh and regarding the 10ft jon boat thing..... lol a 12ft jon boat with a 15hp flat moves out with one person :) really turns heads even with 9.9 markings....

Sean

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I know this may seem wrong

Seem wrong? To knowingly violate lake regs? Only to those with integrity, I guess ... ;)

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think it will work fine for you. It will not be a speed demon but you'll get around. Like suggested above prop it to run in the recommended range at wide open throttle. If you are not doing that you will not get the best performance and you might hurt the motor.

As to 9.9 markings on other motors, I've seen 14 foot jon boats with 9.9 marked motors at Glendale Lake that you could ski behind. The state finally quit making people lie about it and raised the limit to 18 or 20 HP.

ralphl

Petty Officer 1st Class

I use a 9.9 as an aux kicker on my 20 ft pontoon.It has the high thrust Yammy prop and moves the boat very well even against a breeze. Top end is about 7-8 mph but I would have no worries relying on it if my main motor conked out. You wont have any problems..