A couple questions from a new cadet

howlnmad

Petty Officer 2nd Class
First let me say that I love this forum:D, my wife is starting to dislike it cuz it takes my attention from her:mad:. She'll get over it;). I am not new to boating but new to boat restoration so I apologize for the noobie questions about to come. I am confident in most of the glassing techniques but a few talked of here (all automotive repair). Mechanical is not a problem either, nor is the woood-working part.

1. I have seen the letters PL on here quite a bit. Since there is no glossary would someone please explain.

2. I just built a new engine surround and want to seal it. What type of resin should I use and does anyone think it would need a layer of CSM? I plan on carpeting it.

3. This is a Bayliner Capri Cuddy with a 2.3 OMC, the specs say it was available with anything from 140 to 235 horse motors. What would be needed to upgrade the power head (thing just won't get on plane with a full load). I'm sure I would have to relocate motor mounts, I am wondering about drive connections and everything behind the flywheel.

Sorry to sound sturpit but ... I can't help it :D.

Thanks in advance for any and all future help.
Bill

Rickairmedic

Commander
Re: A couple questions from a new cadet

Bill I cant help you much with the glass questions but I just wanted to let you know your not alone were all a little retarded here :D. we would have gone out and picked up nice new bots we could be enjoyning right now instead of kicking if we were not retarded :D:D.

Rick

tlovelandka

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey man,

Welcome To iBoats!! There so much knowledge on here it's ridiculous. If you're hunting a detailed "how to" check out Oops!'s Hull extension thread. It's pretty long (120+ pages) but there's an index at the front that'll let you skip to any part of the resto you want to. Good luck on your build! Post some pics so we can keep up with you...

-TLove

Andy in NY

Commander

First let me say that I love this forum:D, my wife is starting to dislike it cuz it takes my attention from her:mad:. She'll get over it;). I am not new to boating but new to boat restoration so I apologize for the noobie questions about to come. I am confident in most of the glassing techniques but a few talked of here (all automotive repair). Mechanical is not a problem either, nor is the woood-working part.

1. I have seen the letters PL on here quite a bit. Since there is no glossary would someone please explain.

2. I just built a new engine surround and want to seal it. What type of resin should I use and does anyone think it would need a layer of CSM? I plan on carpeting it.

3. This is a Bayliner Capri Cuddy with a 2.3 OMC, the specs say it was available with anything from 140 to 235 horse motors. What would be needed to upgrade the power head (thing just won't get on plane with a full load). I'm sure I would have to relocate motor mounts, I am wondering about drive connections and everything behind the flywheel.

Sorry to sound sturpit but ... I can't help it :D.

Thanks in advance for any and all future help.
Bill

I hate to play devile advocate here, but you may have problems if the boat wont get on plane. it was designed origionally that it would, so something has changed since the boat was new. upgrading the powerhead is half the solution to an unknown problem.

first, is this boat new to you? if yes, what do you know about it? if you have owned it for a while how has it been maintained and stored?

first things to check would be the deck, stringers and transom. there is a good chance that your boat will not plane because if a rotten deck, stringers and or transom... leading to water infiltration under the deck, leading to soaked floatation foam... leading top several hundred pounds of extra weight.

i would start with a general health checkup of the motor. then check the overall condition of the items listed above with some exploritory drilling. wet shavings = rotted wood.