Seahorse 18

justme5248

Recruit
Got an older Johson motor, it is white with a square cowl, around 1960 is my guess. Twin , electric start, put it on a 16 Grumman, it runs but is slower than my 1980 9.9 Johnson. One plug seems cold, other is hot, did test for spark, weak to none on lower plug. What do I need to expect or look for when pulling flywheel, pulled parts diagram off net, but shows one coil and not two as I expected. I do a lot of work on small engines but mainly chaisaws and such, otboards are new to me, so any help is appreciated.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Seahorse 18

Got an older Johson motor, it is white with a square cowl, around 1960 is my guess. Twin , electric start, put it on a 16 Grumman, it runs but is slower than my 1980 9.9 Johnson. One plug seems cold, other is hot, did test for spark, weak to none on lower plug. What do I need to expect or look for when pulling flywheel, pulled parts diagram off net, but shows one coil and not two as I expected. I do a lot of work on small engines but mainly chaisaws and such, otboards are new to me, so any help is appreciated.

If it is an 18hp from around the 1960's it has two coils. The parts book pictures only one for clarity's sake. I might add that both coils are probably shot (cracked). They usually are on motors of that vintage.

Attachments

• Cracked coils2.jpg
    Cracked coils2.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 0
  • cracked coils ugly.jpg
    cracked coils ugly.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 0

justme5248

Recruit
Re: Seahorse 18

Thanks for the help, those pictures gave me a good idea of what to expect when I yank the flywheel. Most of these forums are pretty helpful, I fool around with snowmobliles and antique tractors, most are so old, owners manuals are but a dream. am on several forums, notably Yesterdays tractors and Arctic Chat. Dragged this outboard out of a boathouse, along with a 3.5 Firestone ( Scott-Attwater ?) , I will be the first to admit that it is a work in progress. Thanks again for help and pics.
PS: we have spark on the Firestone, still working on the carb.