87 Capri 14' Forward storage?

skintner

Seaman
Hi again,
My 1987 Capri 14' has seat cushions in the open bow area. I would like to know if the space underneath/inside where those curved cushions sit can be opened up and used for storage. I was thinking they might have foam floatation material in there (of course I could cut it open and look, but that would be jumping way ahead of myself). If those two curved/rectangular spaces are not used for floatation, I could cut holes in the top, fortify with marine grade plywood and put doors in. That would really make stowing gear a lot easier.

Anyone done that or know what's underneath?

Thanks in advance,
steve

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 87 Capri 14' Forward storage?

I'll bet after you do all that work there won't be enough space to store a six pack on either side. The way I look at it if there was room, they probably would have access ports already there.
What you could do is take a small drill bit - maybe 3/16 - 1/4" or thereabouts and drill a test hole. Just through the glass far enough to see if it is foam filled - I kinda' doubt it. Patch it back up with Marine Tex if that's as far as you decide to go.
If you decide to continue please post some pics of the progress - be interesting to see the end results.
Thought I'd verify that you should drill from the seat top inside the boat - not through the exterior hull. You just never know - .:eek:

skintner

Seaman

I'll bet after you do all that work there won't be enough space to store a six pack on either side. The way I look at it if there was room, they probably would have access ports already there.
What you could do is take a small drill bit - maybe 3/16 - 1/4" or thereabouts and drill a test hole. Just through the glass far enough to see if it is foam filled - I kinda' doubt it. Patch it back up with Marine Tex if that's as far as you decide to go.
If you decide to continue please post some pics of the progress - be interesting to see the end results.
Thought I'd verify that you should drill from the seat top inside the boat - not through the exterior hull. You just never know - .:eek:

Thanks for your thoughts, gc... If there is enough space for a child lifevest and tow ropes I'll be happy. I'm going to save the project for this winter when I do the rest of the hull carpeting and the vinyl upholstery on the inside of the gunnels.

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer

The space under those cushion is flotation. However, there is space for storage under the deck in front of the center seat. My floor was soft there, I cut the bad wood out added support to the port and starboard side of the hole and put in a hinged top. I glassed everything and it works great. I store an anchor and a couple of fenders in there with no problem.