1972 85hp Johnson Locked Up

NYT

Cadet
Hi.I have a 1972 85hp Johnson that has been sitting for a long time and I am trying to free it up.I soaked the cylinders with penetrating oil a few times over the past few weeks and tried to get it to turn over by using a breaker bar on the flywheel nut but no go.I was wanting to know if this was'nt turning over because it is a Hydro Electric Drive unit.The control unit is in neutral.Does it need power applied to it to allow it to spin?Even by hand?I hooked up a battery to it and tried to spin the starter but all I hear is a faint click from a solenoid.Starter won't spin.Thanks.

countvlad

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1972 85hp Johnson Locked Up

Hi.I have a 1972 85hp Johnson that has been sitting for a long time and I am trying to free it up.I soaked the cylinders with penetrating oil a few times over the past few weeks and tried to get it to turn over by using a breaker bar on the flywheel nut but no go.I was wanting to know if this was'nt turning over because it is a Hydro Electric Drive unit.The control unit is in neutral.Does it need power applied to it to allow it to spin?Even by hand?I hooked up a battery to it and tried to spin the starter but all I hear is a faint click from a solenoid.Starter won't spin.Thanks.

im not sure whats going on but by removing the spark plugs you can turn the motor easier... and yeah you should be able to turn the flywheel by hand

ave you tried to turn the prop by hand? does the prop turn? if yes, then abviosly you're not in gear....

sounds like to me that the motor is really seized up... i guess more WD40 or Kroil in the cylinders and let it soake over night with the motor tilted up

good luck

NYT

Cadet

Just remembered this motor is a 70 not a 72.Do'nt know if there is much difference.The prop turns clockwise only.If it were in neutral I would think it should spin both ways.Because this a Hydro Electric motor I guess there is no mechanical linkage to shift the gears.Right?All I can think to do is to pull off the lower unit to see if thats holding it back.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

As per your thoughts in your last post..... drop the lower unit in order to determine whether the lock up pertains to the powerhead or the lower unit.

The default shift position is for the lower unit to be in forward gear.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

You can remove the four intake (bypass) side covers to inspect the condition of the sides of the pistons/rings. If you can't break it free, you may want to remove the two heads and have a look inside.