fixing leak in tube

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: fixing leak in tube

I have had mixed results with this. Sometime it worked, sometimes not.
I tried using the stuff they send you...:mad: Then I remembered when I used to make models.
Modeling glue. I melts the plastic, so I thought...why not.
I tried it and found if I were able to get the hole together and then put some glue around it good it held. Right up until I put air in it. Then I thought, the vinyl they sent, with the glue cut to overlap a bit should work.
It did. And I have done a few more tubes. Some of them, I don't know, maybe just where the hole is in relation to pressure created by the rider and the pulling, do not stay sealed long.

So there is my story.
I have one now with a pinhole right at the seam. Can't get any cover in there to hold. So I will be watching for someone to have a better way than me to fix it.

PowerAddict

Chief Petty Officer

wow! great stuff! looks like it should do the trick! Thanks!

msnook

Recruit

Sounds like your leak is not on a flat open area where a patch or sheet patch would work. I've had good luck with a tube of vinyl repair from the local ace hardware store called VLP clear Liquid Vinyl Repair. There are many other brands too. I've heard a good one that Sevylor themselves make called Air Leak but I can't find it locally.

My problem is not the gluing but finding the damn leak! Sure you can use a soapy wet towel or spray bottle but it is hard to listen and look. Right now I have a huge 3 person sit inside tow tube - like 3 separate compartments, and an inflatable slide that is attached to a round inflatable platform.

It is SO hard to find - any ideas?

thanks, -matt

tractorboy

Seaman

So you've had success with this? Just picked some up today ( type B) for the actual vinyl inflatable inside the canvas to fix a good leak I have on a BIG two person Tube. With how fast it leaks should be able to find it. Its pricy at 10 bucks but compared to a new tube its Pennies!!

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sounds like your leak is not on a flat open area where a patch or sheet patch would work. I've had good luck with a tube of vinyl repair from the local ace hardware store called VLP clear Liquid Vinyl Repair. There are many other brands too. I've heard a good one that Sevylor themselves make called Air Leak but I can't find it locally.

My problem is not the gluing but finding the damn leak! Sure you can use a soapy wet towel or spray bottle but it is hard to listen and look. Right now I have a huge 3 person sit inside tow tube - like 3 separate compartments, and an inflatable slide that is attached to a round inflatable platform.

It is SO hard to find - any ideas?

thanks, -matt

Blow it up and put it in the water...follow the bubbles. Once you trace it to a particular area or even which side, it will be much easier to narrow down by the tried and true look, listen, FEEL.