force 85hp stalling out

djdave

Cadet
hello i have a 1989 force 85hp.i put new fuel line and ball and new fuel pump. also i took the carbs off and cleaned them. a also put a new water pump in. i adj the carbs. and the motor runs good with the muffs on but has soon has i put it in the water it runs 4 about 2 to 3 mins then stalls out but then i can restart it and it will do it all over again. then i was told to get it running and pull the plug wires off one at a time . to see if the motor sound changes and #1 and #2 did not change but one i pulled #3 the motor stalled out. can any one please help me out. dave

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: force 85hp stalling out

Sounds like you have weak spark on 1st and 2nd cylinders. Pulling either wire off of number 1 or 2 cylinder should cause the engine to run rough. Need to trouble-shoot the ignition system. Do you have a manual? Make sure all your grounds are making good contact. Need to check the stator, trigger and coils with an OHM meter to eliminate them first. If they check out OK and all connections are good, then I would suspect the CD module that drives 1st and 2nd coils is bad.

djdave

Cadet

i had one guy tell me that it sounds like reeds.let me know thanks dave

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Doubt you have a reed problem. The reeds on the older motors are pretty reliable. You can look at the reeds by taking the carbs off.

The symptoms that you are describing (pulling 1 and 2 spark plug wire off one at a time with no affect to idle), is more indicative of an ignition problem. Weak spark.