Volvo Penta OMC Performance question.

dziner55

Cadet
I own a 1990 Larson 220 Hampton with a Volvo Penta 4.3 and an OMC outdrive. The problem that I am having is that the engine idles fine in neutral, but as soon as I go to engage forward, the engine misses and bucks and sputters. This does not happen in Reverse, only in forward, yet when I go back to neutral the engine smooths out again. After it sputters and misses for awhile it will catch and then it runs fine while underway.

Any ideas?

Cince

freelancer

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Volvo Penta OMC Performance question.

I would check the fuel water separator and the fuel pumps for obstructions.

skeat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

it sounds like the esa switch is engaging due to improperly adjusted or worn out shift cables. After about 5-7 seconds the esa module will stop on its own even if the arm doesn't return to the middle position and the engine will run fine again. You can easily check the operation visually to see if it is working properly at the engine bracket while someone works the controls.

dziner55

Cadet

Hi Skeat. Can you give me a little more info on this esa switch? When should it engage and how should it be adjusted? I thought we had the throttle and shifter adjusted properly, as you can hear forward and reverse catch when you shift, but we were making no provisions for this switch. Is it adjusted seperately from the cables?

Any help is appreciated. summer is going by so fast, and we finally have some pleasure boat weather. hope to be able to salvage at least part of the season.

Vince

PS: I see you are on LI, as am I. I am docked in Brookhaven.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The switches for the ESA are right next to where the lower shift cable connects to the controller shift cable. There are a couple of microswitches that engage the ESA. For a temporary test you can discionnect the ESA and see if you have the same problem. Only thing might be that you will have a tough time getting it out of gear.

Assuming the ESA switches are correctly adjusted, a bad lower shift cable that is binding would cause the problems you are having in that it would hold the ESA engaged. There is a newer verion of the ESA that has a timer built into it that would timeout the engine stumble after a certain amount of time. The newer ESA only uses one of the microswitches. The overstroke switch is not used.

dziner55

Cadet

Not to sound completely dense, but is this at the Throttle control lever side, or at the engine side???

skeat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well if you don't have one already pick up an OEM manual, also check out the explanation of "how the shift interrupt system works" in the adults only section at the top of this forum. It's a bit much to explain all the possible adjustment problems and procedures in this small space, but quickly you should be able to observe the operation on the engine bracket. Initially the switch roller should be centered on the V-notch. When shifting it will rotate (most noticeably on coming out of gear), engage the switch and then return to center very quickly. It really shouldn't move much when you shift into gear but it sounds like it's engaging due to excessive drag. What I think you're going to see is that when you shift into gear the arm is coming off center engaging the esa to temporarily disable the ignition and hanging up there. After 5-7 seconds the esa will disengage even if it doesn't return to center. From here you will be have to troubleshoot to get to the root of the problem. I am in Nassau cnty, keep us posted on what you find

Shawn

dziner55

Cadet

Will do. This finally sounds like a resolution to my problem(Whether I can resolve it or not is another issue), but at least I can pinpoint where I need to look. I'm heading out on vacation for a week, but will be taking a look when I get back. Thanks for the help.

Vince

dziner55

Cadet

Well gents, I got to go down to the boat today and Voila`, the problem was EXACTLY as you stated. The switch was out of adjustment. I have been battling this problem intermittently for 3 boating seasons. I was told it was caused by a vacuum leak, it was a bad carb, it was bad cabling, etc., so I limped along and learned to drive using the 5 second delay. Now the boat is shifting and running, dare I say, like new.
Over time you find places to go for real answers. iboats happens to be one of them, and I should have remembered that when I first had the problem.

Thanks you all you knowledgeable people out there who are more interested in solving other people's problems than proving how smart you are. It really made a world of difference.

Thanks again!

Vince