Alpha outdrive noise

Lundlubber2

Cadet
Hi all, I'm a new member, but a long time reader.

I have a 1985 Century bowrider with a 140 Mercruiser. I used this boat regularly til I bought my Lund Tyee a couple years ago. Since then it has been sitting, though I've been starting it every so often on muffs.
Anyway, I've been layed off for several months now, and probably will have to sell my Lund and use old reliable once again!

I started it up last week, and heard a grinding noise from the outdrive (I'm assuming). I pulled the outdrive expecting to find a rusty gimbal or u-joints, but did not. Everything looked great, except for the glob of extra grease I pumped in last year! The gimbal rotates smooth as silk, no flat spots or looseness, and the u-joints are clean with no slop whatsoever. Splines on the shaft look great also.
I'm hoping someone can give me another idea as to what the noise may be?

Maybe I should put it back together and put it in the water to try it out and listen?
Also, I need a new gasket for mounting the outdrive... do I use any sealer on the gasket?

Thanks,
Bob

1980Galaxy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Alpha outdrive noise

change your oil in the outdrive. i had a 'clicking' type noise coming from my outdrive early in the year and i changed the fluid and it seemed to go away... i dunno, maybe the fluid was low or something before i changed it. not saying this was the solution to my problem (or yours) but you might as well since its due anyway.

Lundlubber2

Cadet
Re: Alpha outdrive noise

Thanks for the reply.
I changed the lube when I winterized last season and haven't used the boat since. I will double check the level though.