hit prop on bottom

sikz3

Petty Officer 1st Class
was out last weekend an hit the prop a bit on the bottom. (wind pushed too close to shore) Now its really not bad, but you can see a slight bend in one blade and roughed up the edges on all three. Would it cause much damage to use as-is untill I can get it repaired? I know if it's out of balance I heard it can ruin your outdrive seals and bearings? It is on a '04 mercruiser alpha I.
Also what does it run (approximately) to repair such damage? thanks ahead of time.

reeveshd

Cadet
Re: hit prop on bottom

was out last weekend an hit the prop a bit on the bottom. (wind pushed too close to shore) Now its really not bad, but you can see a slight bend in one blade and roughed up the edges on all three. Would it cause much damage to use as-is untill I can get it repaired? I know if it's out of balance I heard it can ruin your outdrive seals and bearings? It is on a '04 mercruiser alpha I.
Also what does it run (approximately) to repair such damage? thanks ahead of time.

if I were you, and I have been there already this summer. Just spend a 100 bucks on a spare AL prop that will get you through until you can repair your prop. I dont know if you have stainless or not. but the repairs on one seal that did not result from a prop strike was enough to convince me that there is not reason to turn a bunged up wheel. Someone on here will will you have to have your prop shaft inspected as well. I would have to agree with them.

Just my advice.

Reeves

sikz3

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have checked the shaft, all is well. I was maybe just above idle (in the the no wake zone) There are no chunks missing or anything just a small bend in one blade about an inch and some sharp edges on the other two blades and it is an aluminum prop.

danfrompgh

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Spend the $100.00 now or lots more in the very near future. And if you were running an AL prop,throw it out. Its not worth fixing.

Bifflefan

Commander

West Michigan Propeller can repair it for less than 50 bucks (37.50 i think).
At least thats what one i had done cost. Then its just the postage if you dont live here. They do all the repairs for Michigan Wheel.
They have a web site.

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Number 1: Always carry a spare prop.
Number 2: Never run a bent prop.
Number 3: Refer to number 1.

Don't feel bad. I ordered my new prop last week, got it Friday afternoon and tore it up Saturday afternoon.:(
$2.00 less than the cost of the prop to repair. But, I have several props for my boat so I am not out of the scene.
I also only run aluminum here at home. I am on a river that has a constantly changing channel and logs that I swear have oars and move themselves every now and then.
You most likely will not do damage from a strike with aluminum, but continualy running a damaged prop will do more damage than you could imagine. Buy a prop with an interchangable hub. Then you only have to replace the prop itself for less money. You can also have different pitch for different activities and have say, a 3 blade and a 4 blade but still only need the one hub.

waveland

Cadet

I just had an aluminum prop (21 Pitch) repaired for $60.00. You shouldn't run your boat with bent blades as it could cause your engine to work too hard increasing the rpms.