Alpha one sterndrive removal question

Blujay96

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just took my 1987 mercruiser alpha one sterndrive off. Should there be oil in the bellows after removing the drive.

Lundlubber2

Cadet
Re: Alpha one sterndrive removal question

No, there shouldn't be. I believe there is a yoke seal that keeps the oil from being pushed into the bellows. You may have a rusty shaft, or a groove worn into it that may keep it from sealing properly.

Blujay96

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you for the reply, when I got the drive shaft and gears out there does seem to be a slight rub where the o-ring was. Also I could turn the retainer nut by hand so I wonder if that had something to do with it. You can also see where one of the bearings spun. Not sure if I need to do anything to the case or not.

dubs283

Vice Admiral

the retainer nut was loose? wow, torque on that is 200 lb/ft!!

Blujay96

Petty Officer 1st Class

That was my first reaction also. I am wondering if it had something to do wit the bearing sliping. The reason I took it abart is the upper gears are striped. Not sur what caused what. So now I either have to rebuild this one or try and find a used drive.

dubs283

Vice Admiral

upper gears getting stripped is usually due to a loss of gear lube

if you do save the lower, be sure to disasseble, clean and inspect all components

and pressure test the new or rebuilt drive

Blujay96

Petty Officer 1st Class

I will do that, I was a little worried about that when i saw the metal shavings in the upper. I am really hoping to find a used one, but then again you never know what is inside the used one either. Do you think it would be better to buy the gear and bearing kit to redo it or try to find a used one. I do not have the special tools to rebuild, but I guess j could get them.

dubs283

Vice Admiral

well if you buy a used one, then plug n play, you are trusting that everything in the new one is okay

if the case is okay, i.e. not damaged like cracked or gouged on the inside, you could get the new bearing set and gear set, but you're gonna need the special tools to shim the new gears and a rolling tourqe wrench to set up the bearing set

its up to you, price it out both ways :)

Blujay96

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you I will start doing some research