more problems

slipper

Seaman Apprentice
took my boat out a few weeks ago and my control box(it was old)broke and wouldent shift forward, so I got a new box cables and connection kits, motor ran good during that trip.
took it out today with all the new stuff hooked up and couldent get it started, looked and smelled as if it was flooding out.
when I tilted the motor to load the boat back up there was a lot of black gunk coming out of the motor leg(my guess is un burnt oil), Also I cleaned out the carb 2 trips ago dident notice it until today there was no spring, could this what is giving me problems. I ordered the spring and should be here in a few days.

motor
1988 us marine force 50hp.
model
507x8c
work done.
carb cleaned(new spring soon)
compression = good
fuel pump diaphragm = replaced

any help would be greatly appreciated
Regards,
Slipper

john from md

Commander
Re: more problems

Did you leave off a primer line? If so, fuel will run down your leg and it will be hard to start.

John

slipper

Seaman Apprentice

im not following you
from the carb cleaning I did?
everything is in order there, I was looking at the diagrams on a website and seen a spring and noticed there wasent one when I did clean out the carb
it ran fine without the spring I might add
I did notice there was a bit of a leak on the carb bowl so I fixed that

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Are you referring to the spring that goes on the float in the carburetor? If so, yes that could cause a problem. Did you try squeezing the primer bulb to see if it gets hard? If not, then that would indicate the needle valve is not seating properly.

slipper

Seaman Apprentice

yes thats the spring im refering to, the primer bulb got hard but after a few cranks it was softer again.
I did get the motor to idle today(about 3-5 mins), and it was a ruff almost low idle, after I took the carb off to clean it I reset the idle needle and was idleing great(mind you this was with the spring off)