21' 1985 Searay Seville Mericruiser i/o TAKING IN WATER

Hello All,

First and foremost I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Eric, I am 25 years old, and I am new to the world of boating. I purchased my first boat over the weekend. I've made a few mistakes already. The first & worst mistake was not test driving the boat. I settled for hearing the motor fire up, & running it for about 1/2 an hour on the trailer. My second mistake was trusting the previous owner when he told me that the boat was solid and safe.

After taking the boat out on the bay for about 10 mins, i realized that the boat is taking in a tremendous amount of water. The boat is a 1983 Searay 20' with a 1993 mericruiser i/o. I dont know the exact engine specs off the top of my head right now, but I will get the them off the motor and post ASAP. I may be new to this, but i know that the amount of water intake is not normal at all. After returning to shore, i pulled the drain plug and the boat took 7 minutes to drain all the water out.

I had a buddy look over the boat and he pointed out that my exhaust bellow is cracked on the outdrive (something i noticed when i did my walkaround of the boat. I mentioned this to the seller and he replyed that this was for the prop exhaust and its OK that its cracked).

My buddy says that this is probably the reason for the leak and I would need to replace the bellow, a few o-rings, and service the outdrive while the lower drive is removed. He quoted me a price of $500 for parts and labor. My problem is that I dont quite trust his word/work because he is not a true marine mechanic. I want to make sure that this is the only reason for the leak. I wanted to fill the bilge up with water and see if I can identify where the leak is coming from (on land of course). Are there any other ways to determine where a leak may be coming from? The fiberglass hull has no visible hairline cracks...

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I have consulted an attorney and while the boat was sold to me "as-is", it is still considered consumer fraud. The seller told me the boat was safe and the bottom line is that it wasn't. Any suggestions / opinions / thoughts from you veterans? I really appreciate any feedback. Thank you.

-Eric H.

myoldboat2

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 20' 1985 Searay Seville Mericruiser i/o TAKING IN WATER

do not put the boat back in the water until the bellows leak is fixed. it may sink--really.

if you don't want the boat, use the attorney and get your money back. the guy lied to you about the bellows.

if you want the boat, replace all of the bellows. it's not that hard, i did my own a few years ago. get the manual and order the parts. or pay someone to do it, but i would hire a real marine mechanic, not the guy you've been talking to.

bellows get old and need to be replaced. nothing unusual about that. what is unusual is the lie the guy told you to your face.

Thanks for the fast reply.

As far as the bellows are concerned, only the exhaust (lower) bellow appears to be damaged. This makes sense as the previous owner stored the boat in the winter with the motor trimmed up, from what i was told.

Do you recommend that I perform the water test that I spoke of in the earlier post to determine if there are any more leaks, or is it fairly obvious that the exhaust bellow is indeed the culprit?

By the look of it (looks can indeed be deceiving), it seems that on this outdrive, the exhaust bellow is accessable without removing the lower drive. Is this the case, or does that lower drive need to come out?

Are their any special tools that are required to do this? Does anyone know what the average ballpark cost would be to have this done professionally? I'm quite savy with cars and motorcycles, so with the appropriate FSM, i may be able to do it myself... What are your thoughts? Thanks again...

sbbamafan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 21' 1985 Searay Seville Mericruiser i/o TAKING IN WATER

Not to seem a smart-***, but is your bilge pump working? I cant imagine taking in that much water if it is. Nor am I recommending that you go out as-is and simply turn on your pump and ignore it. That just seems like a HUGE amount of water coming in.

Anchor Management 1

Petty Officer 1st Class

You can totaly remove the exhaust bellows and it wll not leak water in the boat,unless the Y-pipe O-ring is bad.The U-joint bellows or shift cable bellows is mostlikley the problem.You can also put water in the boat and see where it comes out at!

BigBK

Petty Officer 3rd Class

In my opinion, if the exhaust bellow is bad most likely the u-joint bellow is also.
2nd. If there is that much water coming in, in my opinion, there is some other leak. maybe the u-joint bellow or the shifter bellow. It would be best to really look into it closer. You may have to back the boat into the water (On the trailer) and look to see where its coming from.

searay3

Senior Chief Petty Officer

time to pull the drive and have a look. Everything else is guessing. The exhaust bellow is not your problem. Check the bellows, ujoints and gimble bearing. For the other possibilities, back the boat in the water on the trailer, grab a flashlight and look.

brisboats

Seaman Apprentice

Agreed exhaust bellows isn't going to leak like that. Your transom assembly may have a hole in it.

brian

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the feedback. I DO NOT plan on taking this boat back out on the water any time soon. And yes, the bilige pump is not working and needs to be replaced (or wiring checked).

I'm letting my buddy take the boat away to his house tomorrow morning. He lives with an experienced marine mechanic and they have the space and tools needed to look into this for me.

I only prey that it's not the transom.. I will keep you posted...

Bondo

Staff member

I have consulted an attorney and while the boat was sold to me "as-is", it is still considered consumer fraud. The seller told me the boat was safe and the bottom line is that it wasn't.

Ayuh,.... No Comment,.... I don't wanta get Sued..... :rolleyes: