1967 johnson 3hp won't run

rstrick624

Cadet
I recently picked up a 1967 johnson 3hp. We cleaned it up and put a carb kit and new plugs in. The motor started right up and we ran it multiple times in a barrel for 20 min increments. We then took it to the lake and ran it for 20 min and it stalled. It then would only run with the choke open. We have since pulled the carb off and cleaned it. It then ran for another 20 minutes and stopped. Now it won't run at all again after taking the carb off again. I am thinking about replacing the float next. any thoughts. It has good spark and when it won't run, no gas is getting into the engine, but there is gas in the carb. Thanks

adamjohn82

Recruit
Re: 1967 johnson 3hp won't run

i have the same motor and problem and i cleaned out the carb help would greatly be appreciated if i spray into the carb it runs and the carb is getting fuel just not making it to the plugs please help

nwcove

Admiral
Re: 1967 johnson 3hp won't run

if you havent already , read the top secret files, on how to bring an old ob back to life. sounds like crud in the tank, messin up the "tiny" orifices in the carb , or gumming up the float needle.