Worth putting 800.00 into motor? 86 DT85

luisdeleon

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Was wondering what you guys thought, got a 86 DT85 and looks like I will be putting about 800 to get it running. That includes carb rebuilt with new nozzle and main jet, starter rebuild, new fuel pump, and new trim motor/pump. Seems this motor is going to cost me a total of 1350. Don't know what to think of this, but I'm committed now. Was it really worth it?

deejaycee_2000

Captain
Re: Worth putting 800.00 into motor? 86 DT85

You do not need to put that much money in the motor ... you can simply clean the carbs properly, no need for net nossles and jets .... just service the starter, and only replace the fuel pump diaphram which is cheap do not replace the whole fuel pump .... the trim can also just be serviced .... there is no need tos pend so much $$$$ on this is you can get this motor running purrrrrfectly by just cleaning it up and putting some tlc into it .....

luisdeleon

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Worth putting 800.00 into motor? 86 DT85

Wish it was like that, the carbs were shot, the pump when I was cleaning it was so corroded that I broke some internal stuff where the The thick spring goes. And the motor had the trim motor missing ( didn't come with it)