SeaKing 9.6 HP Won't rev when in gear

I have a 9.6 SeaKing M/N VWB27009A 07X, S/N 10643 (circa 1965?) that I inheireted from my grandfather in 1990, on a 14' SeaKing fishing boat. It's been in the smallest of ponds to the Gulf many times without ever an issue. In fact the only thing I've ever done is change shaft oil. Today, while fishing with my son, we found it not wanting to rev when in gear. In nuetral, it revs like it always has. If i twisted the throttle much past the start position it sounded like someone was feathering the choke and would finally die. I have above average engine skills but have never touched an outboard motor. Please Help!
Thanks, Jeff.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: SeaKing 9.6 HP Won't rev when in gear

Sounds like a fuel supply problem.Try squeezing the primer bulb.If it responds
suspect the fuel pump or quick connects.You could also try a little choke
if it helps it may suggest a carb rebuild.

OK. Tried all that the day on the lake. Finally had time to dig a little deeper today. Pulled both spark plugs. Bottom one is saturated. Top one looks great. Both plugs confirmed good. I have no spark thru the bottom wire. I CANNOT believe it ran on 1 cylinder. Anyway, i have the flywheel nut off. My pulling holes were not tapped. I just finished that. Hopefully in the next few days I'll get it off.
What should i expect to find under there?? What's your thoughts now? Coil, points, etc? Thanks in advance again, Jeff.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Built by Chrysler,
Start by cleaning and setting the points,check the plug wires for wear
corrosion if its been in salt could be poor connection on the plug end.
Many times a 2 cylinder will run on one cylinder and seem fine to the inexperienced.Your not the first to be mystified.

OK. I got the flywheel off easily & removed the points. The one is really badly colored black with heavy pitting. The other is'nt to bad but needs cleaned too. what's the best way to accomplish this? is it possible to remove too much trying to remove all pitting? Are these things still for sale? The wire ends on the plugs look brand new by the way. Is there a way to check the condensors or coils while i have it apart? Looking forward to your help again, Jeff.

ohm116

Petty Officer 1st Class

Fine sand paper should clean the points up nicely, probably don't need to remove all the pitting just all the carbon and gunk.

64osby

Admiral

The only way I know how to check for spark is to put it most of it back together, put it in a tub of water or water muffs and spin it with the plugs out. I use a pair of rubber handle pliers to hold the plug to the casing, have a helper spin the motor and look for spark. It's easy at dusk or in the shade.

If you have no spark you might need a coil or new plug wires.

It sounds like the points may have been the issue but...