Temp gauge not working

tordway

Cadet
Ok I have a new question. I have a 91' mercruiser 4.3 and I had it out this weekend but temp guage wasnt working. Has new thermostat and sending unit, so where should I start to look?

littlebookworm

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Temp gauge not working

You have a couple of things to check. First, disconnect the wire at the sending unit. Ground the wire. Then turn on the ignition and see if the guage reads. If so, the problem is in the sending unit. By any chance, did you put any sealer on the threads of the sending unit when you replaced it? If so you isolated it electrically from the engine block. You'll need to clean the threads on the unit and on the block. If the problem is not with the sending unit, go under the dash and connect a wire from the guage to ground. Turn on the key. If the unit registers now, the problem is in the wire from the sending unit to the guage. Check the connector at the sending unit end of the wire. If that's OK, you have a break in the wire somewhere. Check wherever it goes through bulkheads. If it didn't work at any time, the guage itself has gone bad. Replace it and check that it works. Good luck. Hy