'96 60Hp Merc Volt. Regulator

donrjuan

Seaman Apprentice
I noticed a bit of brown around some of the spots on the board of the regulator. This is under the green gel like coating. I was wondering if this could be the cause of some of the high RPM troubles I am having? Could the board be scorching? What could cause this browning? I just replaced the stator which was bad for sure. Any input would be great. Thanks

j_martin

Admiral
Re: '96 60Hp Merc Volt. Regulator

They will discolor when they burn out. What is your battery voltage, engine stopped and engine running? Does your tachometer work?

Usually a failed regulator doesn't have any effect on the ignition. They are completely separate systems.

hope it helps
John

donrjuan

Seaman Apprentice

Im at around 12+ volts with the motor off and around 14.5 running. This engine has no tach but my fuel guage acts up from time to time. I found some info dealing with the stator that said the regulator could cause a high speed miss. Also, are the two yellow wires coming from the stator to the reg. reversable. I ask since they are not labled or different in any way and I wanted to insure it is hooked up properly if I replace it.

donrjuan

Seaman Apprentice

Also is there any were I can find a wiring diagram for this motor online?

j_martin

Admiral

Im at around 12+ volts with the motor off and around 14.5 running. This engine has no tach but my fuel guage acts up from time to time. I found some info dealing with the stator that said the regulator could cause a high speed miss. Also, are the two yellow wires coming from the stator to the reg. reversable. I ask since they are not labled or different in any way and I wanted to insure it is hooked up properly if I replace it.

If the reg was totally shorted, it's conceivable it could weaken the spark, but not likely. Your's is working, save your money.

The yellow wires are an ungrounded AC winding. They are interchangable.

A lot of times I've found intermittent problems, like yer fuel gauge, to be corroded or loose crimps in the connectors. Probably not related.

hope it helps
John

donrjuan

Seaman Apprentice

I have ordered the regulator just to make sure it is like it should be. Any other ideas what it could be if it is not the reg. I have gone through the fuel system theroughly other than rebuilding the fuel pump. When I take off in the morning, the motor runs like a gem! I start it up in the afternoon to head in and it bogs down at high RPM's. Almost anything beyond idle. I was wondering if it could be the RPM rev limiter. As far as I can tell, there is no way to disconect it as it is part of the swith box, correct? Thanks