overheated and now water in cylinders

dglrmn

Cadet
I have a 1997 Bayliner, 3.0LX 4 cylinder, Stern drive. I replaced spark plugs yesterday. I took it out today and the engine started overheating and smoking. I shut it down. After it cooled off it would not start. Starter makes a clicking noise but will not turn over engine. Took starter to Autozone and it tested good. Took out spark plugs and noticed not only did they sell me the wrong ones, there was water in my cylinders. Is my engine shot or what? How do I get the water out of my cylinders? If my engine is seased up would that be the reason the starter is not turning over? Please help.....

captmello

Captain
Re: overheated and now water in cylinders

reinstall the starter and spin the engine over with the plugs out to clear most of the water. Then, as long as your oil isn't full of water, start the engine briefly on muffs to dry out the cylinders. recheck the cylinders for water and continue to troubleshoot your water issue.

dglrmn

Cadet

thanks captmello. I have the starter working again and have just shot out most of the water. I will reinstall plugs and try what you said tomorrow. I took the thermostat out and it looks terrible-it was probably my overheating issue. I just hope I didn't blow the head gasket or crack the head...

captmello

Captain

thanks captmello. I have the starter working again and have just shot out most of the water. I will reinstall plugs and try what you said tomorrow. I took the thermostat out and it looks terrible-it was probably my overheating issue. I just hope I didn't blow the head gasket or crack the head...

I would not let the engine sit for any more time than is absolutly necessary. Run it with no thermo if necessary. Its corroding your cylinder walls.

If you cannot run it, spray some oil in the cylinders and turn it over with the starter.

Let us know what happens.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

This is a classic case of hydrolock. The engine won't turn until the plugs are removed and water expelled. You did the right thing by getting the water out but you've got to work fast to prevent rust in the cylinders. Follow captmellows instruction.
Next, you need to track down the cause of the overheat. Did you suck up weeds? If not, you might need a water pump or there may be a leak within the exhaust system.
Good luck, I feel your pain!

dglrmn

Cadet

Thanks for everyones advice. I was bale to get out most of the water and then sprayed wd40 in cylinders. Cranked engine and let it run for a couple minutes without the thermostat. I hope the cylinders are ok. Tomorrow i will change the thermostat. Does anyone know how to test the water pump? It is inside the sterndrive-other than just dropping the stern and replacing it. I am really hoping it is the thermostat. What about the water in the cylinders? Do you think head gasket or craked head?

meesh

Petty Officer 1st Class

Head and gasket are probably ok. Pull the hose that comes in from the transom shield and start the boat for e few seconds. You should have very strong water flow, and if not you need to change your impeller

dglrmn

Cadet

Update: I pulled the incoming water line and started the engine-water seems to be pumping fine. My overheating problem must have been the thermostat. I reconnected everything minus the thermostat (had to order one). Ran the engine a little bit trying to replicate the water in head problem. Pulled the plugs and there is no water in their.
New problem: It is making a loud noise, my drunk eighbor came over and said that I had a stuck lifter in one of the cylinders. He said to start the engine and pull the plugs one at a time until I find the stuck lifter and then put a teaspoon of transmission oil in the bad cylinder. He said that should free up my lifter. Is he just drunk,or does that make any sense?

Please Help

dglrmn

Cadet

update: The overheating problem was a stuck thermostat. This caused the engine to overheat and blow the head gasket - hence the vapor lock. Head is being magnafluxed now and should be running this weekend. It only took me 45 minutes to pull the head-first time I ever did that......very easy

dglrmn

Cadet

Update: jut got the head back from the machine shop. It was warped and the #2 valve was stuck. It is amazing what heat can do to an engine.....