electric fuel pump conversion

tropyal

Cadet
I know that conversions are not recommended, but here is my probelm.
I have a 1974 Searay with a 302 Ford Mercruiser and I thought the fuel pump was bad. After taking it apart the pump seemed fine so I stuck my finger in the mounting hole and can spin the eccentric easily. To replace the eccentric the engine has to come out, and if its coming out its not going back in. I dont know the history of this engine and would rather replace than have something else major go wrong and waste time and money. What are your thoughts?

Thank You

mkast

Lieutenant Commander
Re: electric fuel pump conversion

The timing chain cover can be R&R in the hull.

tropyal

Cadet

Thanks
It looks like the hard part will be getting the harmonic balancer off. just not much room between it and the fuel cell. However, after reading many forums on the Ford 302, I think it may be a 2 piece eccentric and I am spinning outside bearing. Does this sound right? And was a 2 piece standard on a 1974 Ford 302 Mercruiser?
My fuel pump only pumps for about the last 1/2" of the total throw of the arm. Is this the way it should be? I do have a new fuel pump coming.

Thank You in advance

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

Place a line on the input side of the pump. Place the other end in a can of fuel. Operate the pump, see what the flow is like. Try not to burn the place down. You stated that you can rotate the eccentric with your finger. Does the eccentric turning out of round?

tropyal

Cadet

yup the eccentric ran true, so i figured the pump was junk. I set up my lathe with a 4 jaw chuck and a piece of 2" round stock running out enough to give the pump full throw. then I ran a piece of tube into a bucket of water and into the intake. It pumped like crazy, then stopped and sucked it back and forth. gave it a hit and it pumped again. The intake one way valve is sticking so the new pump should take care of it. Thank You for your help

Bifflefan

Commander

when you say the eccentric spins free, do you mean?

1, its spins in circle freely.
2. it spins in an offset cirlce freely.

If the answer is 1 then your fine. it can do this and is proper.

If the answer is 2 then you must pull the timing cover and put the bolt back in the front of the cam, as it come loose and the top timing gear is loose also.

tropyal

Cadet

by spinning true i mean it is not off set. I have had only 1 Ford in my life and I still have it, but this engine is a little different than my 1915 Model T.
Its going to be a little while before I have time to put the new pump in, but I'll post when I do. Thanks again for everyones help