3.7 coolent leak

wahooin

Cadet
I have antifreeze and oil leaking out of the front of the motor. But i cant seem to see where from. Any ideas?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 3.7 coolent leak

You might try the method the pros use.
Dry and clean up the front of the engine, then start it up and watch for leaks.
You can also pressure test the close cooling system and see where it leaks without the engine running.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

I have antifreeze and oil leaking out of the front of the motor. But i cant seem to see where from. Any ideas?

A mixture of the two, or oil and antifreeze separately? Check the oil in the crankcase to see if it is milky (oil mixed with water). If OK, as Don says wipe down the front of the engine, and with the engine running look at the lower starboard side of the coolant circulating pump (you will probably have to take the engine surround off to get a good look). There is a small weep hole there, If leaking antifreeze, you need new cam seals on the pump. Look for oil leaks around the valve cover, lifter gallery and oil pan.

wahooin

Cadet

Thanks the coolent is leaking from lower staboard side. To fix it ill have to pull the motor but i dont want to lose anymore of the season. Is this something Ican fix at the end of the summer without doing damage if Iwatch the level of the coolent and oil?

wahooin

Cadet

Thanks for the info. I guess ill try it in the boat first since I do have the room and if it doesnt work ill pull the motor. Thanks agian for your help it made my life easier.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Gettin it off in not too bad, gettin it back on without damaging it takes a little effort. You DO NOT want to drive it back on, that can cause damage to the charging system and crank. If you have downloaded the manual page 4c-5 shows the instillation tool. You can make your own with a long bolt to thread into the crank end, a nut and a stack of greased washers. Put the nut and a stack of washers on the bolt, position the balancer, thread the bolt all the way into the crank hold the bolt and tighten the nut, the washers will push the balancer on no problem. Good luck:D

wahooin

Cadet

Well i pulled off the the front cover and the last person to own this motor put blue silicone over a crack in the cover to stop the oil leak . Well that was that problem. the coolent leak was a grooved camshaft and worn seals . so i took a front cover off one of my spare part motors (A MUST HAVE)and put in the new seals put on the cam shaft sleaves. It seems to be ok now . So thanks again for your help