Please close: Still sputtering....very sad.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

22E6441

Petty Officer 1st Class
I took the boat out today with the hopes of giving it a good run before I go to the cottage next weekend. This would be the first good run since I got it out of the shop a few weeks ago.

I had rebuilt the carbs and put it in the shop for a tune up...link n sync...etc. The motor ran great in their test tank with a "test prop". They said that if a motor runs well in their tank with the test prop, it practically always works in the open water because it simulates load very well. That didn't solve my sputtering at high throttle. Then I replaced the tank and gas line between the tank and motor and took the boat out for a 10 minute ride. During that ride, the boat was sputtering again. I was utterly dejected, but ended up taking the cover off the motor and all of a sudden it started to run right. Figured maybe it just had to run some crap out of the carbs or something. It seemed to be running great.

So today I go out again. I start the boat on the my new tank and line, and it took off great. Then I switched to my other (old) tank, and it ran ok for a few minutes then started sputtering again. OK, I figured the old tank was no good, or the gas was too old (about a month and half maybe? no stabil). So I switched back to my new tank and the sputtering continued. I figured no big deal...it will start running right soon.

Well, it didn't. I drove around slowly for quite a while thinking it needs to run the bad gas out again before sucking the good new stuff. No dice.

I unhooked the lines, re-hooked them, re-primed with the bulb....all had no affect what so ever. I'm stumped. I need to take this back to the shop and hope I can get this resolved quickly. I leave for the cottage next Saturday and kind of need my boat.

Here is a video I just took today to show exactly what it's doing. I'll be linking another one too once it finished uploading.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKbWcw2JRY8

Any ideas?

Last edited:

22E6441

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Still sputtering....very sad.....

Here's my second video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H9YhbKpAHk

You'll see the strong stream of water coming from my tell tale.

I have no reason to think my motor is overheating. My temperature alarm isn't working though and I don't know why. the shop said they could trouble shoot it but I deferred that to my next shop visit because my impeller and cooling system seem to be working perfectly.

22E6441

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hmmm...searching around found me this:

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=271765&highlight=Speed+Limiting+Overheat+Warning

I wonder if my problem is solely in the temp sensor? This is the tan wire as noted in that thread. Hmmm....I think I need to launch tomorrow and try to disconnect it.

The prior owner rebuilt the engine because there was an oil pump failure that toasted the motor. I wonder it that also cooked the temp sensor?

Do my videos look like my engine is going into S.L.O.W.?

jonesg

Admiral

if the temp sensor isn't working I'd fix that first, it could be the source of trouble ,but if not ,,you still need it.

If the engine runs good without the hood cover on that could be an exhaust leak choking the intake air.

Get the manual, you don't need no stinkin mechanics.:D
www.outboardbooks.com

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Any idea of the RPM when it starts this ??
Temp sensor needs replacing without a doubt. Easy enough fix to do yourself.

22E6441

Petty Officer 1st Class

No idea of the RPM, but it's farily low. It feels to me like around maybe 1/4 throttle. From what I've read of SLOW, it kicks in around 2500 rpm.....I think that's probably pretty close.

Can I disconnect the wire to the sensor to test the problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.