New boat owner questions

McVee1

Cadet
Hello, I am new to the forum, and am also a new boat owner. Two weeks ago, I purchased a 2006 Sea Ray 200 Select. It came already equipped with 12 speakers and 2 500 watt amps all of which draw power from the start battery. I am wanting to install a second battery to run the stereo alone because I like to leave it playing while swimming. I'm not certain, but believe that the boat alternator will not charge both batteries if connected in series. Please keep in mind that I am not at all electrically inclilned.

What type of battery do I need, and how big does it need to be?
Is there some sort of onboard charger that I can install that will keep the second battery charged? Or, if the boat alternator is sufficient enough to charge both, is there some kind of switch or disconnect that I can install between the batteries so the start battery will not get drained by the stereo while the engine is off?

Also, I am looking for a cleaner for the seats that will remove scuff marks, mold, etc.

Thanks

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: New boat owner questions

Yes ^^^^^ I have a big stereo too and here is what I do.

Every day I start on both. Then after the first run I switch to the battery corresponding with the day, odd or even. If it's the 1st, 3rd or 5th of the month, I run battery #1. If it's the 2nd, 4th or 6th I run battery #2 and so forth.

If I am on the beach then I can run on one battery until its starts to crap out. If I am really using the wattage, it will hit a wall after a few hours. Then I can figure out what I am going to do, but I still have one good battery. I usually switch over to both for the ride home so that I have two fresh in the morning.

BumbleBeeTuna

Seaman

I intend to install the BEP Marine dual battery charging cluster. It eliminates the need to manage which battery is being used at what time.

For instance, once your cranking battery reaches a sufficient voltage, the relay switches the charge to your house battery. All house items will draw only from your house battery so that you are not stranded without enough cranking power. In the event that your cranking battery does not have enough power to crank the engine on its own, you have the option to run both batteries in parallel.

This type of setup would require a cranking battery and a deep cycle house battery. The size of the house battery will depend on the amps of your alternator.

It is a bit more work to install but I really like the idea of not having to determine which battery is being used/charged.

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer

I'm not certain, but believe that the boat alternator will not charge both batteries if connected in series.

You do not want to hook batteries up in series, that doubles the voltage, and you would end up with a 24v system.

As suggested, get the switch, and hook the batteries in parallel. This will allow both to be charged off the engine alternator, and double your amp hours so you can run your electrical longer with the engine off.

Link for series/parallel info:

Article

Hope that helps! :)

McVee1

Cadet

You do not want to hook batteries up in series, that doubles the voltage, and you would end up with a 24v system.

As suggested, get the switch, and hook the batteries in parallel. This will allow both to be charged off the engine alternator, and double your amp hours so you can run your electrical longer with the engine off.

Article

Yes, it helps very much! That is exactly what I was thinking would happen. Hooking them in series would raise the voltage to 24, which in my mind, would trash the alternator.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice!

McVee1

Cadet

Article

Ok, I read the article on hooking them up in parallel. This is the method I am going to use, but I still have one concern. Once hooked up this way, with the engine off and radio still playing, I will be drawing power from both batteries. So, do I hook up the disconnect switch between the two batteries, put in "OFF" mode while not running so that the radio only pulls power from the secondary battery?

Sorry for all the questions, but as I said, I am new to this and completely electrically dumb. I don't want to mess anything up or be stranded somewhere with a dead battery.

mike343

Petty Officer 1st Class

You need to put in a battery isolator (follow the instructions) or a battery combiner. For your use, I'd pick the combiner.

truckermatt

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just a question...

If you have a battery selector drive like the one stated above.... if i was running on battery #1,(indicated by the switch) would battery #2 get recharged by the alternator.. Or would i have to have the switch set to "both" batteries in order to charge both.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Battery #2 gets nothing if the switch is set to #1. Both equally charges if both batteries are equal . . . a little complicated if they are unequal, but both get charged.