once again...starter issue

Groat

Cadet
Guys, I feel like I am doing everything wrong. I posted a thread a few days ago about a rebuild kit for a starter. Well with some help I was informed there are starter and alternator shops still around. Took it there and they said it couldnt be fixed...no biggie starter was pretty cheap. Well I got the new one yesterday when it came in. Came home from duty and put the new starter in and guess what,,,the gear that engages the starter will not go back down when I turn the engine over. So everytime I go to start the boat. the gear stays up in the flywheel of the engine....even when I stop trying to start it it will just sit there in the flywheel and will not retract. I pulled the starter back off and the gear is still stuck up it wont retract back into itself. Is it a bunk starter? I wasnt constantly staying on it when starting(kept the key turned for 3-5sec) so what am I doing wrong? or did I just get a bad "new" starter?

bankerjohn

Chief Petty Officer
Re: once again...starter issue

Sounds like you either got a new starter with a defective bendix, or you got the wrong starter. Did you buy an OEM part, or aftermarket?

ScottinAZ

Senior Chief Petty Officer

the drive helix on the starter shaft could be a bit buggered, or the shim under the nut at the top of the starter could be a bit thin (this can cause the bendix drive to hang up at the top of the drive helix on the shaft). I would take the issue up with whomever you got the starter from, as that is unacceptable.

Groat

Cadet

Guys thanks so much. I took a look at what ya'll are saying and sure enough the gear was being held up by some factory grime....also the spring that was on that thing wasn't even recoiling so I took the spring off the old starter, dab a bit of grease on the splines and bam!!!!! Once again I am humbled. I love this forum like no other... After two tours overseas all I wanna do is take the little guy fishing in my little boat...lol. Take care!!!!

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Glad you got sorted out. Enjoy the fishing with the little guy.
There are places out there that can and will re-build them but I guess you did not find one of them. A lot of places make more money by selling you a new one and / or don't know how to re-build them.