Transom removal to replace shift cable bellows help??

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander
I have the service Manual #6 and have been reading section 4A-4B(Transom disassembly) It shows all the bellows and how to replace the bellows just not where the shift cable attaches to the inside of the transome to slide the new shift cable bellow over the cable?? I was going to unbolt the 6 bolts of the back section of the transom(etc... and slide her back to remove the cable from the transom but the Manual doesn't exactly show how that is done, I read here that it's not too hard to do on an Alpha One and was wanting to replace the bellows all at once instead of just the shift cable bellows. Advice would be appreciated!! I will probably be asking alot more questions before this project is all done, but I am learning how to work on my own boat and getting more experience under my belt. So bare with me on this thread.
Thanks.............Pat
Am I going to need special tools for this fix??

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Transom removal to replace shift cable bellows help??

Can it really be as easy as this?
http://www.mercstuff.com/shiftcablebellows.htm
I have been reading for the past 2 1/2 hours and wasn't sure if I had to take off the whole drive, If any one can give me some input to this I would appreciate it, The exhaust bellows and u-joint bellows look to be in excellent condition, so I am hoping to just replace the shift cable bellows.

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Transom removal to replace shift cable bellows help??

Cool, I just don't want to tear everything apart if I don't have too, or don't need to, Thats why I am asking, I was always told that if your not sure then ASK, and thats what I am doing before I start pulling off the stern drive and then find out I didn't need to. The manual isn't helping as much as I thought it would, I am still reading and studying, just haven't found the right section yet I guess, still digging.