Will a Propane Torch get Hot Enough?

Miroash

Banned
I have a 90hp Johnson that the steering has stiffened up on. it is the main verticle swivel that has frozen, I can turn the motor with a good bit of force so it's not completly frozen but I cant get greese to pump in. will a propane torch get the metal hot enough to aid in freeing this up or do I need an oxygen/acetylene torch? I am confident once i can get it lose enough to take greese it will work fine.

jriegle04

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Will a Propane Torch get Hot Enough?

why won't it take grease? is it the zerk or the shaft? i would try a different zerk if i were you.

Miroash

Banned

why won't it take grease? is it the zerk or the shaft? i would try a different zerk if i were you.

I have already replaced all the fittings. I think the grease has dried up on the shaft or something and the new grease cant get thru.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the propane may help push the old grease out. but if it does not. there is only one fix. disassemble and clean. remember you are working with aluminum.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I presume you have proved it is the motor swivel, by removing the link rod to the steering rod and turned the steering wheel?

If so, another trick is to lift the motor straight up on the pivot shaft, allowing grease an easier time to exit the bottom bushing. I lifted mine by tilting the motor all the way up and using a rope around the transom clamp to the AV plate, and twisting it tight like a tourniquet. The extra space in the lower bushing allowed me to regrease it.

wellsc1

Petty Officer 1st Class

My advice is to take a torch to it at last resort. You will likely damage the paint and who knows what.

Use PB Blaster, use other less drastic tricks like already posted, etc. A little TLC in repair procedures may prevent secondary impacts from more drastic procedures. I you can get some new grease or PB Blaster on the shaft, moving the motor little-by-little may work it around to free things up. Then goose the grease to it to purge out the stuff used to loosen it as well as all the old grease that gunked up things in the first place. Also, I have found that wax-based grease is the king of gunk, so I use lithium-based marine grease now.