'84 OMC outdrive trim works, but not really.

mrbillmc

Recruit
Ok went through the basics, pulled the trim motor, replaced the solenoids (up/down) checked for power etc. etc. Here's what it get..

Power to the motor at the plug using the switched soleniods but no action, however i can take a hot wire from the battery, jump one side or the other of the connector and it runs just fine, up/down.. that really makes no sense to me having a lifetime of experience with mechanics and elecronics. Anyone give me a clue that i'm missing something simple with this? :confused:

Thanks!

Honest Don

Cadet
Re: '84 OMC outdrive trim works, but not really.

The pump grounds throught the case. The two wires are BOTH + which one is used depends on if it's going up or down. Bolt the motor back to the transom assembly and make sure it's grounding properly. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO PUT GROUND TO ONE OF THE WIRES!!!!!

mrbillmc

Recruit

Thanks Don.. Sorry I skipped that part.. I've mounted the motor back to the outdrive and thought I checked the ground but i will check it again.. But like i said, i can use a jumper wire from the battery to one of the two wires (up/down) and it seems to work fine, just not through the switch/solendoids and they are new and show to be delivering power when activated. Going to his it with a test meter and get some a/v readings..

NW Redneck

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like either poor connections on the load side of the soliniods or poor ground at the motor. You said you have power, but have you checked HOW MUCH power you are getting into and out of the solinoids? You could have a bad connection somewhere between the battery and the motor.

Use a meter and take readings at each connection starting at the battery pos terminal through to the motor. If you have 13vdc at the battery but only 11vdc at the motor you have a dirty/loose connection somewhere. If you are losing more than about .5vdc between the battery and motor start removing, cleaning and re-tightening all the connections. Get them all shiny clean and put some dielectric grease on them to prevent future corrosion.

If you are getting full voltage to the motor leads then it's a ground issue. Remove the tilt motor (it helps if you are double jointed :D ) and clean up all the metal contact surfaces on the motor and intermediate housing and re-install. Also check the ground cables fron the battery to the engine.

mrbillmc

Recruit

Hey Redneck You are certainly on tosomethign there.. I just got back in from now getting the outdrive stuck down.. ugh.. but I did run a individual lead from the battery to the tie bar between the soleniods and viola! it works like a champ.. so gonna go track that main power wire and see what's going on.. it has 12v but cant get an amp reading from it.. not tall enough to reach the motor and switch at the same time.. :p
However during my excitement in knowing it does indeed work i decided to run it all the way up and down.. well it went up, then down, and stopped.. i know the motor is engaging because i can hear it tourque down and the amp draw on the rest of the system isquite noticable.. guess i'll start look'n for outdrive stuck in down position..
Dang!! so close to gett'n her in the water after 10 years sitt'n.. :(

Anyway thanks so much for the help guys.. Guess I just needed some discussion to help stop going in circles!!