"Friggin" red light (picture posted)

halas

Petty Officer 1st Class
Why does the bottom oil light stay red while the top lights are green?
I have two suzuki manuals and I cannot find an answer.
1988 Dt 115 runs great otherwise././.
Can anyone help here with info?
Thanks!

Attachments

• birdsuzukigauge 002.jpg
    birdsuzukigauge 002.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 0

halas

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: "Friggin" red light (picture posted)

I guess I am the only one with this type of warning gauge.
Must be extremely rare. Well, I could ask the dealer Monday, I wish we had one close by.

gss036

Commander

Maybe be easier to call them and talk with someone. I am not familiar with the Suzuki, but I would think that it is telling you that you are either low or that oil is not flowing/no pressure. Better safe than sorry these days with the price on new motors.

SuzukiChopper

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'll take a stab in the dark and say that you'll be told by the dealer that the bottom light is always lit and is a red light only and as long as the three greens light up you're good to go. Looks like it's a bar style meter and the red at the bottom is to tell you that your oil is low when the other 3 greens are NOT lit.

I'm assuming it's an oil injected system so what you can do to verify the gauge works as it should is turn your key on (without starting the motor) and siphon the oil slowly out of the injection tank. Watch what the meter does.

halas

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks, I think you got it.
Since then I took a closer look at the manual and found that I have a VH model whatever that means. The red light -like you said would indicate the low oil level.
Also found out from the book that it has a blue wire and looks like there is a symbol of a diode there in the circuit also that might be bad. Will check it when the fishing season is over in November. In the mean time I am glad that I have a reliable motor and the red light is not important in my case. Thanks for the help!

SuzukiChopper

Senior Chief Petty Officer

To keep our mind at ease, if it is an oil injection motor (you haven't mentioned that yet), just make sure that oil is being used up and that it's topped off before every trip. No use stranding yourself or blowing up your motor. Good luck.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

I have the same guage and mine is the same with the lights, it shows that it works, so you do not have to worry about it .....

halas

Petty Officer 1st Class

Deejaycee,
Since you have the same gauge can I ask?: What does the "oil flow" indicator do on your gauge? (see it on the right side)
Mine is not doing anything, does not even light up turning the key at start-up. Is the normal?
You are righ SuzukiChopper: the motor is oil injected 1988 DT115.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

the red and 3 green is the oil flow indicators ..... but if it will put your mind at ease, replace the oil flow sensor just below the oil reservoir ......

halas

Petty Officer 1st Class

the red and 3 green is the oil flow indicators ..... but if it will put your mind at ease, replace the oil flow sensor just below the oil reservoir ......

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought that the red and 3 green lights are for the oil level in the reservoir.

halas

Petty Officer 1st Class

Deejaycee,
Since you have the same gauge can I ask?: What does the "oil flow" indicator do on your gauge? (see it on the right side)
Mine is not doing anything, does not even light up turning the key at start-up. Is the normal?
You are righ SuzukiChopper: the motor is oil injected 1988 DT115.

Does your oil flow gauge do anything?