motor temp?

Dawgs

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ok this may be a hard question to answer...i have a 1987 johnson 150....my temp guage doesnt have numbers...just "c" on the left and "h" on the right...looks like a fuel guage sort of...with the ears hooked up my temp goes to about 3/4 then drops to about 5/8 before leveling off...is that ok? how can i tell the exact temp? what should the temp be?

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: motor temp?

Most likely gets to the 3/4 mark then the thermostats open and it backs off to the "normal" position. Check the head temperatures at it's "normal" position to verify if O.K.

Dawgs

Petty Officer 2nd Class

how do i get an accurate heard reading? where do i check? and what do i use to check it?

jriegle04

Petty Officer 2nd Class

a good pyrometer will tell you aprox. or the 4 second finger test will work as well. if you can hold your finger to the head for 4 seconds without having to pull it off your temp should be ok. that is what i am doing until i get my temp gauge.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

The in dash temp gages are not very reliable no matter what the type. Get you an infa red temp gage. It is a battery powered hand held device that you point to the surface of what you want to read the temp and it gives you a digital reading to the tenth of a degree. My 1988 V-4 crossflows run 135 to 145 degrees when up to operating temp. You take the reading with the cover off and take readings at multiple places. It is great for troubleshooting. For example if you are running hot it will tell you which cylinder or cylinders are hot.