25hp evinrude fires but wont turn over *VIDEO*

cadet917

Petty Officer 3rd Class
i have an electric start evinrude that wont start. Im getting ignition and the motor shutters and puts out smoke but it wont start. Has plenty of spark and its getting fuel. could it be a timing problem? it was just runnin 2 weeks ago and now this.

14ftgrumman

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 25hp evinrude fires but wont turn over

rebuild carb.

cadet917

Petty Officer 3rd Class

what is rebuilding the carb gonna do? its getting gas.

gizzyknows

Cadet

Year of engine,manuel or electric choke.Is choke working?

cadet917

Petty Officer 3rd Class

its an 87. im not sure if there is a choke. there is a small dial on the throttle and i dont know wut it does. i think its electric choke because the key can be pushed in and turned or jut turned.

gizzyknows

Cadet
Re: 25hp evinrude fires but wont turn over *VIDEO*

Did not see ay muffs on it.What is your left hand doing on the motor?Are you working the choke?Your fuel bowl may have trash in them.Remove them and clean 'em up.Reinstall try again use the muffs......

cadet917

Petty Officer 3rd Class

im opening the valve in the carb to let fuel in.

cadet917

Petty Officer 3rd Class

muffs on or off doesnt effect it. i can see plenty of fuel getting into the engine so im pretty sure the bowls are fine.

14ftgrumman

Chief Petty Officer

:confused:Pardon me for saying, but if you don't want to take the advise from the very knowlegeable people here, why do you ask for it?

There is probably trash in the carb float bowl, and probably flooding because some of it lodged in the needle and seat valve.

Running it on muffs will prevent the water pump impeller from melting due to having no water in the housing, and in the unlikely event that you do get it to run, your next question will be why the motor won't turn over. ( It would be because there was no water in the motor to cool it so it ran hot and melted itself together.)

Now get some muffs-or atleast a garbage can to fill with water and put the lower end of motor in it.

Go to NAPA store or a marine dealer and get a carb kit and a service manual and take care of the carb problem.

And remember, we try to help. Don't ask for help then not take it.

cadet917

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i always start an engine before i run water to it. If the engine did start i wouldnt leave it running without water. As far as the carb goes. there is nothing wrong with it. its been run twice since rebuild. taking the carb off pretty much requires taking the entire powerhead off so im trying to make that a last resort. if an engine runs fine then stops running 2 weeks later the carb shouldnt be the first area of troubleshooting, its usually an electrical problem in my experience. today i drained the bowl again and that didnt solve the problem. it really sounds like im getting ignition when the pistons are on their way down.

reelfishin

Captain

Did you try some fresh fuel?
How much compression does it have?

ryendube

Petty Officer 1st Class

well you sound like you have the answers. You say it sounds like the timing is off then check it.

what have you eliminated yet.

a70eliminator

Captain

muffs on or off doesnt effect it. i can see plenty of fuel getting into the engine so im pretty sure the bowls are fine.
WRONG.......the float bowls could be totally flooded and you would see fuel, in fact by the looks of the exhaust puffs She's getting way too rich of mixture, I would put money on it being a carb issue, either the float went bad or needle & seat picked up a piece of dirt.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

You are obviously much smarter than the rest of us, so I'll leave you to your own devices.