How big of a motor?

KaiBlaed

Cadet
I have a 14' Fiberglass Starcraft, anyone know the maximum horsepower recommended for this boat? I have a 40 on it now and it will not plane out with 3 people in it. I've tried adjusting the motor to compensate and still nothing, It's not really all that fast when it does plane out with 2 people on it.

Attachments

• myboat2.jpg
    myboat2.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 0

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander
Re: How big of a motor?

60 ought to do it, 75 would be a lot of fun!

bigskiohio

Master Chief Petty Officer

no tag? should tell you max hp. but a good running 75 or so would all i would want on there any more would be scary i would think .

KaiBlaed

Cadet

I have a 85hp mercury I been thinking of putting on it, but I'm almost kind of scared of double the power on this boat.

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

One of the aspects you are looking at here is weight. If the 85 is more or less the same as a 75, it won't hurt. The key is to use discretion and see how she feels to you, at any given speed. Remember the concept of "hull speed", which is the optimum velocity that a hull is capable of without a) producing no greater results regardless of the amount of power applied, and b) renders the boat unsafe.

KaiBlaed

Cadet

The hull is in excellent shape, I just wondered what she was rated at. What feels good to me and what she can take may be two different things. And it is a 42 yr old boat.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I would think a good running 40 would plane that with 3 people assuming the hull isn't waterlogged. I wouldn't go much bigger than a 50. I have a 16' and it's max rated for 85. I think your 85 would be really overpowering.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I would think a good running 40 would plane that with 3 people assuming the hull isn't waterlogged. I wouldn't go much bigger than a 50. I have a 16' and it's max rated for 85. I think your 85 would be really overpowering.

Any idea what your max rpms are at WOT? I suspect that you are not getting the best performance from what you have.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

You probably have too much prop on the boat. The highest pitch that I know of for your motor is 14" and that may be what you have. Find a 13" pitch prop and try it.

You might also find a "Tiny Tach" for it to see what your WOT rpm is not. They can be purchased over the internet.

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade

friend of mine just picked up a boat almost exaxctly like that one and the tag says 80hp.has a 40 on it and it goes ok.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I had a 14 footer from the 60s. It was rated for 45HP. You might check out the motor power and set up. I would expect 25MPH with 3 people

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Kai, yesterday you posted that this boats transom was full of water and you could squeeze water from the transom if you pushed on it hard. You also stated you were afraid to put any weight on the transom implying its weak.
Do yourself, your passengers and other boaters/rescue personal a favor, sell all the parts and get a water worthy boat.

22E6441

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah, I would agree with prior posters.

That should plane out no problem with the 40, but I doin't think it's running right or you've got the wrong prop.

71cresty

Recruit

Well I have a 14 foot crestliner same vintage as your boat and it says on it a maximum 50 horse. So 85 does sound like you'd be overdoing it. I have a 60 on mine and I'm going to be taking it off as it's too heavy for the transom.

PaulyV

Chief Petty Officer

My 1962 14' starcraft palnes out with 4 ppl in it. Sounds like you have some issues and its scary to know you can squeeze water outta your transom..your putting yours and your passengers safety at risk by using this boat.