steering cable problems

chez138012

Recruit
Hello everyone been on for a few checking out the post now its my turn for some help
i have a 1987 larson 190 cuddy with a 3.7 liter in it that i just recently bought that has hated me since i got it! the maden voyage with the origional owner was great no problems at all was very happy, i get it home first trip out towed home carb. problems, second trip charging system dead battery towed again, the last one well come home on its own power steering the lower unit with ropes! not fun!

my question is i got the part number off the cable it is a tefelex cable Pt#SS07274 i cant match the number anywhere i found alot of companies that sell them but not that number not sure if the number is obsolete or not.. i measured the cable the plastic coating part is 13' and the cable ends on both sides are 20" any help or links would be great the weather is finally nice and the boat is sitting in the yard

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: steering cable problems

Should be able to get the cable any any good marine store, TeleFlex is pretty standard. Book says measure the plastic section and add 18 inches for Safe T Quick connect and Big T,
Add 30 inches for rack style
A standard Saft T Quick connect Teleflex SSC 6115 (15 foot)

chez138012

Recruit

i dont know which steering i have dont know what either one is

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

whats called a "rack" system is very similiar to a car version. 18 in long, 2 in wide 1 in thick,mounts with 4 bolts, the QC (quick connect) just had the spirial cable core end. Google Tele-Flex marine steering for some pics.

chez138012

Recruit

wow thanks for all the quick information it must be a quick connect the cable does have about 20" of a spiral end on it that just feeds through a gear drive behind the wheel nothing like a car.. i just cant figure out why i cant find the part number anywhere i got it right off the cable the local marina here came out with a cable that was the same length but it was much thinner than what i took out..